Dns Question

Darcy

Hi,

I signed up here recently, and so far I've been quite pleased, so now I'm back to ask a question on behalf of someone else who is also looking to switch hosts. If she were to host her site here, would it be possible (and permissible) through TCH to use CNAME in the DNS to point one subdomain to another domain? Thanks.

Hmm. Ok, well, that probably is going to be a problem for her I guess, but let me just lay out the situation and see if anyone here has another solution I'm not thinking of. Her site is on a Linux plan, with a host I'll call Host A, which has been very accomodating in the past but is now going through some serious problems. She has never wanted to have a Windows plan because Linux is what she is used to, and she uses a discussion board that won't work on Windows, etc. However, there was a particular quiz program that was very important to her (because she is a teacher and this is her class website) that would only run on Windows. So I got her a very cheap custom Windows plan on Host B, which she uses only for that one application. However, this plan did not have a separate domain, so Host A agreed to add the CNAME DNS records so that she could have a quiz subdomain of her primary domain that would point to the Windows account. Is there any way of accomplishing the same goal outside of the DNS route I described?

Wait, maybe I am not understanding what you are looking for. She has a second site on a Windows host and that is what you want to point to using a sub-domain here. The actual content won't be hosted here?

The program wouldn't work on TCH anyway since these are Linux servers.

If that is the case, couldn't you add mod_rewrite rules that would redirect traffic when sub.herdomain.ext was entered to point to the Windows host? That I believe would be acceptable.

If I am totally off here, I apologize. You could open a ticket with the help desk and they can confirm what they can or cannot do.

Right, she would have the main content of her site here, but would have this one program and its content running on Windows hosting elsewhere, but would be using a subdomain here to point to there, because she doesn't have her own domain there. I'll have to look into the mod_rewrite redirect idea and see if that would work for her.

TCH should be able to add a cname record for you to point to another ip address for a sub domain. I would not see where that would go against TCH's TOS agreement. Otherwise you would have to do what they were talking about and do the mod_rewrite to point to the windows host.

Otherwise what you could do it what I have done. I use dyndns.org to host my dns, and then I can point the different parts of my domain to different places. I have a sub domain xxx.**** pointed to a server at my house, and I have ohter sub domains pointed other places.

taznumber1,

Although I too originally thought the cname solution probably would be acceptable, I have confirmed through a help desk ticket that TCH will not allow the added cname record. This is a time when I wish I controlled my own DNS. Anyway, maybe I'll try to use mod_rewrite, although it doesn't look to me like that does quite the same thing as cname, if I understand it correctly. Thanks.

Hello,

The Alternative, is to have a cheap domain name, something like domainname-game.ending which points to the windows domain host.

To be honest, its a much more simplier and easier way of doing things, rather then messing about with DNS which if you do accidentally screw up, both sites become stuffed.

Domain names are so cheap these days, its not worth trying to figure another way to do things

JimE