Smf Problems After Move

tomowa

Well, starting from the beginning.....I had a Invision (IPB) forum version 1.3.

Knowing I was 'giving' this forum http://www.webpagefun.com to another person (Lorraine, or LF from MC, here at TCH), and it would be moving to a different server, I converted it from the outdated IPB 1.3, to the lastest SMF version, 1.07. This is the third one of these I have done, no problems before.

Since the conversion, when you click a 'forum', no problem. When you click a topic within a forum, it takes forever for it to load, in fact, it takes 30 seconds, plus a few milliseconds, such as

Page created in 30.192 seconds with 18 queries.
. Click a different topic, same thing, 30+ milliseconds.

This was evident on the 'old' server, since I converted it, and on the new one here at TCH, which was moved here via cpanel restore, so it is not a server problem. We have done every 'optimization' etc from the SMF admin panel.

I installed a second copy of SMF in another directory http://www.webpagefun.com/smf, then imported the same database as the first one into it, and the same problem

Page created in 30.117 seconds with 19 queries.

I then installed the same version 1.07 of SMF on my home server, imported the database into it, and it works just fine, any page creation in milliseconds.

I can see something wrong with a database, causing slow load times, but exactly 30+ seconds, everytime??

So far rummaging through the SMF forums has been useless, but I have not yet posted there with the situation. Before I do, does anybody here have a clue :lol2:

Thanks, Tom

Thank you Bruce and Jim for your suggestions, both are entirely plausible, but unfortanately, seemingly not the problem.

I shall keep searching <_<

Tom

Tom,

Another idea. Please (if you can) install a clean smf on your website, do not import the database and make sure it runs ok and as fast as it should do. If this is successful, we can rule out everything apart from the database.

Some suggestions include importing it into say phpBB and then importinging it into SMF. Is there many topics needing emails to be sent out?

JimE

Thanks Jim, I shall install another SMF, make a couple posts to it then see how they load.

No, there are not many (if any) email notices going out. The forum is almost dead :tchrocks: , only three of us who occasionally use it.

It's the exact, 30 seconds plus a few milliseconds, that confounds me, that it takes to load a topic. (it was the same thing without having the 'page load time activated', I just did that to be able to document waht the load times were). The size of the database is 2.7mb, so I cannot see that as a problem.

The import into phpBB then back sounds interesting......

I'll report back when I get the new SMF installed.

Tom

It's the exact, 30 seconds plus a few milliseconds, that confounds me, that it takes to load a topic. (it was the same thing without having the 'page load time activated', I just did that to be able to document waht the load times were). The size of the database is 2.7mb, so I cannot see that as a problem.

I had the exact same problem with my blog until I figured out it was a plugin that was doing queries on my database every time you clicked a link. The plugin was running 4 queries per entry. I removed the plugin and I'm lightning fast again.

Not saying this is your problem but it sure sounds similar.

The forum is almost dead

Tom, that can't be, were there ;) , and probably a couple more will come in, once we can get it posting faster... :( , sorry Tom, I mean you can get it posting faster. :)

I did unchecked all the smiles I added, thinking that that might be causing it, but that didn't help. Not sure what plugins we might have Bruce, that Gail doesn't have, and hers is working very fast. But who knows. Will have to do some more checking.

Thanks Bruce for your reply also. :D

Lorraine

Oldiesmann at the SMF forums solved it :)

Thanks Bruce and Jim for your assistance here :)

http://www.simplemachines.org/community/in...p?topic=91402.0

If you have the "enable basic HTML" option enabled (in 1.0.7, it's under Edit Features and Options), try disabling that. I know of a board where that caused load times to be ridiculous in some cases (11+ seconds to load the message index for a board, 30+ seconds to load a topic, etc.).

But why I wonder....This forum here is at www.webpagefun.com, and on server 122. Another SMF I admin www.lowcountrymudrats.com/forum on server 110, works just fine with "enable basic HTML" enabled. Also when I install this webpagefun forum on my home server, it works just fine with it enabled. The only difference I see, is the home server is Apache on Windows, as opposed to Apache on a Unix server at TCH.

Gotta be a system admin somewhere who could explain why B)

Hello,

It could be that in transfer or in updating it to SMF, something is not correctley done in the conversion leading to some rather lengthy sql queiries with regard to HTML.

Just a thought anyway!. Glad you got it solved. To be honest, I never use HTML in any forum, its too easy to break a forum using it

JimE