A Few More Questions

BoxersRule

I've got to say that I've been very impressed with the forum at TCH. I've been reading through a lot of posts and the friendly helpful responses are wonderful! Between the forums and what TCH offers in hosting for the price, I think that TCH will probably be my new host.

I have explained my dilemma here but have a few more questions...

Can/will TCH install a new IBP forum?

Do I have to have cPanel in order to manage my website or can I do that through SSH (which I already have)?

cPanel has 2 levels... do I need both levels if I have to have cPanel?

Is it a free download & how big is it? I'm on dialup (no other choice) and big files are nearly impossible for me.

This is more of an IBP question but you all are nicer than they are! Can my forum be transfered to the new version via a backup made through mySQL to a personal computer or does it have to be transfered server to server?

I reserve the right to ask more questions but apologize for being so... ummm..... un-computerish. :lol2:

Thanks!

Cpanel which we manage our accounts with is not a download it is software that runs on the server so all we have to go is go to a webpage that is given to us on our welcome letter to manage all aspects of our websites.

Normally speaking as a TCH Customer I would have to say they normally will not download and install software on your websites and I looked at IBP does not look like it is an option in cpanel to install it do you would have to download it and then ftp it up to the server.

Another option that you might have since you have SSH with your other hosts is download it via FTP with SSH to there server, then FTP the files to TCH from your old host. Then if the file is a tar, or zip file you can extract it with File Manager in Cpanel. THen once you are down with the upgrade you can take a backup of your old site database ftp from your old host to TCH then open a ticket to get that data loaded into mysql. Then run the upgrade scripts. This is a very easy process.

I would say since you say you are working with dialup it would be alot faster if you do the transfer between servers. So you would SSH into your old server and then ftp everything to TCH. That way you are dealing with a fast connection between servers and do not have your slow dialup connection making this a slower process.

Oh I forgot welcome to TCH Family Forum.

Edited by taznumber1

As was stated, cPanel is the control panel preinstalled on the servers. All you need to have is a web browser and you are good to go (information on how to access it is provided in the welcome email when you sign up).

TCH only provides version 1.2 of IBP as an installable option because that's the last version that was available for free. Newer versions now require a paid license, so we are not allowed to make it available (but you can, as stated, purchase a new version and install it yourself).

You can, however, upgrade from 1.2 to the latest, if you purchase a license, and retain all of your posts.

Addition to the forum question...

You can also install another free forum software and that way always have the latest updates etc.

I am not running any forums at the moment but I believe that all popular forum software will have some kind of converter between them and ipb so you will not have to loose any posts etc, but someone else who run a forum will have to confirm or deny that.

Whew! That's a lot of info that I've got to translate.

I access cPanel on the TCH servers via a webpage so I do NOT have to download anything!! RIGHT??? YIPPEEE! :lol2: That makes life easier! :D

Another option that you might have since you have SSH with your other hosts is download it via FTP with SSH to there server, then FTP the files to TCH from your old host. Then if the file is a tar, or zip file you can extract it with File Manager in Cpanel. THen once you are down with the upgrade you can take a backup of your old site database ftp from your old host to TCH then open a ticket to get that data loaded into mysql. Then run the upgrade scripts. This is a very easy process.

1.gif

I WISH I could do all of that but I lost you at "download it via FTP". 4.gif I'll have to think about that.

The IBP version that I use IS 1.2. Would it be better (since I don't know what I'm doing) to have it installed, transfer the forum, then update later?

You can also install another free forum software and that way always have the latest updates etc.

I noticed that phpBB is free but does it have the features and controls that IBP has? Are there ads that are added to the pages or that creates popups?

Then I need to move the Photopost Gallery..... :D

Thanks so much for the advice. I've posted similar questions to other forums and not gotten nearly the response and help. :)

I noticed that phpBB is free but does it have the features and controls that IBP has? Are there ads that are added to the pages or that creates popups?

phpBB does not include any ads or popups but needs to be updated often due to it's popularity.

cPanel does include verison 1.2 of IPB but that is an old outdated free version that could be installed and then you could import your database.

I think I'm ready to make a purchase! In fact, I went to do so and got scared. LOL!

If I submit my domain name, will that automatically make the current site unavailable? I realize that I will have to change the info at GoDaddy, where it's registered, but until then can members still find us on the old server?

I'd like to get the space, figure out what I'm doing ( :blink: ) then attempt the move maybe on Saturday.

There is also SMF which can be installed via fantasico.

I don't know what SMF or fantasico is. <_<

I keep telling you guys I need help. :w00t:

SMF is forum software. You can find more info at simplemachines.org.

Fantastico is an included cPanel add-on that allows for the easy installation of several popular forum, blog, CMS, and shopping cart scripts among other things. You can find more info on Fantastico at http://netenberg.com/fantastico_scripts.php.

You can open your account at anytime. The change from old server to new does not take place until you change your nameservers at GoDaddy.

SMF is a forum ( Simple Machine Forum)

Fantastico is an auto script installer in cpanel.

When you get your welcome e-mail

you will have a link to your site and cpanel using an Ip address

http://xx.xx.xxx.xxx/~cpanelname

and http://xx.xx.xxx.xxx/cpanel (log in with your cpanename and password)

these can be used until you point your domain name to your space here.

Whew! That's a lot of info that I've got to translate.

I access cPanel on the TCH servers via a webpage so I do NOT have to download anything!! RIGHT??? YIPPEEE! <_< That makes life easier! :D

1.gif

I WISH I could do all of that but I lost you at "download it via FTP". 4.gif I'll have to think about that.

The IBP version that I use IS 1.2. Would it be better (since I don't know what I'm doing) to have it installed, transfer the forum, then update later?

Then I need to move the Photopost Gallery..... :w00t:

Thanks so much for the advice. I've posted similar questions to other forums and not gotten nearly the response and help. :blink:

What I was talking about is if you have ssh access on your current host then you can type "ftp ip address". Then it will prompt you to login and you just login and type "put filename" and it will upload the file to the tch server. You can also do the same to get ftp files from another site just type "get filename" and it will download the file name. If you need anymore information about how to do this you can send me a message and I can tell you how to do it. Like I said before it is really easy.

Hello,

Sorry for not explaining what SMF is!

I really would suggest a CPANEL transfer, its a much easier thing to do if you have no real tech knowledge and it doesnt involve uploading and downloading for you!

Hope the move goes well!

JimE

I think I'm official! Maybe.

I did order a hosting pkg last night and received an email saying that there would need to be a phone verification which is fine BUT... I gave my home phone number which is of course tied up with the 'puter since I'm on dialup. I did try to submit a ticket with my cell number but I'm not sure it made it.

Ya'll are gonna ban me for being "technically challenged". :rolleyes:

Waiting for my "Welcome Email" is like waiting for Christmas morning. Is it time yet??? :tchrocks:

Karen,

Welcome to the forums. When you get stuck or don't understand, be sure to come to the forums for help. We really do like to help, and we were all where you are at one point.

Try us. You might be plesantly surprised! :tchrocks: