What Came First, The Chicken Or The Egg?

ok so im looking at the news...

A geneticist, a philosopher and a chicken farmer say they have found the answer to a great evolutionary puzzle. The experts looked at the evidence in the long-standing debate over which came first - the chicken or the egg - and opted for the egg.

Professor John Brookfield, a genetics expert from Nottingham University, said the first chicken must have started out as an embryo in an egg.

This means the organism in the eggshell would have the same DNA as the chicken.

He explained that the reason was due to the fact that genetic material does not change during an animal's life.

Professor Brookfield said: "The first living thing which we could say unequivocally was a member of the species would be this first egg, so I would conclude that the egg came first."

Kangaroo eggs

Professor David Papineau, an expert in the philosophy of science at King's College, London agreed that the first chicken came from an egg and this proves there were chicken eggs before chickens.

"I would argue it is a chicken egg if it has a chicken in it," said Prof Papineau.

"If a kangaroo laid an egg from which an ostrich hatched, that would surely be an ostrich egg, not a kangaroo egg," he added.

Charles Bournes, chairman of trade body Great British Chicken, said "Eggs were around long before the first chicken arrived.

"Of course they may not have been chicken eggs as we see them today but they were eggs," he said.

Professor Brooke added the debate could finally be laid to rest.

what do you people Think??? :)

yes, but where did the egg come from :)

(this debate is quite 'hot' on another forum, weve got into evoloution, the big bang theory, and the 7 day theory, sheer brilliance! :P )

you see evoloution.. yeah ok.. boils down to simple ameoba and bacteria.. yes i got that.

but where did the lowest life forms evolve from... it then led to all about the gasses in the big bang, ok.. so where did these gases come from, where where they created, it seems illogical for them to of "been there all along"

My question is, isn't "fact that genetic material does not change during an animal's life." contrary to the whole evolution thing? Doesn't it assume that it never can happen because we've never witnessed it evolve? And what about the aliens... couldn't they have zapped a crow and made it into a chicken?

Seriously, people like these so called researchers bug me when they try to prove something as science, which heaven forbid has to be based on facts and not faith, and they use assumptions like that as fact.

Anyway, that's all I got to say about it so there! :)

i would like to see research go to more purposeful (is that a word lol) things, keep the fun for tea breaks.

i think when time travel is invented and when we are all like Doctor Who we can go back and see what really happened, or we can go to the year 5,000,000,000 and see the world end

- note - Doctor Who is a classic British TV show brought back for modern times bbc.co.uk/doctorwho - its quite good, im not sure if the BBC chanels stateside are showing the last series with Chritopher ecclestone yet, or you guys are still getting 80's things and classics like fawlty towers

He explained that the reason was due to the fact that genetic material does not change during an animal's life.

Not exactly - tumor/cancer is a result of multitudes of genetic changes. If that occurs in a single-celled organism, then the genetic material has changed for that organism's life.

we can go back and see what really happened, or we can go to the year 5,000,000,000 and see the world end
Do you think the Bad Wolf maybe genetically engineered eggs?

Chicken's great on the grill, but the eggs just drop through and make a mess. :)

I tried that but the plastic handle melted and got all over the grill... boy did that stink! :D

Who cares which one came first, they both taste good fried.

*snort*

Just had to comment on that, and agree whole-heartedly. YUM!