Cpanel Ip Address Blocking

Boonetown

Can someone enlighten me on the extent of the IP address blocking when set in Cpanel.

Here's my situation. My guestbook for my website is being filled by some people in South Korea (SK) with free ring tone entries. Every entry has a different IP address to it but all originate from SK.

Instead of blocking each IP address, which could keep me busy for sometime, I have blocked an IP address that I believe is the entry point for all traffic from SK. I did a trace route and found one IP address that was common in all traces. This IP address is the hop just before entering the USA.

Have I shut off the whole country of SK, or at least a large part of it? I don't mind that I have shut out SK and I'll only block long enough for them to get the idea that they are wasting their time.

Thx

Welcome to the forums Boonetown.

Instead of banning an IP range or router somewhere you should update your guestbook with better spam controls. By either upgrading to the most recent version of what ever guestbook program you are using or switch to a guestbook that offers a CAPTCHA before an entry is accepted. Or a moderated guestbook where you need to approve the comment before it's added.

Welcome to the forum, Boonetown.

I think that Bruce's advice is good. The problem with banning IP address ranges or whatever, is that there are always more spammers coming from somewhere else.

You can block these guys today, but then what to do tomorrow when somebody else starts attacking. You're always playing catch-up and never really get ahead of the problem.

The best treatment for a disease isn't the one that just numbs the pain after the fact, but the one that erradicates the disease.

If you really want a guestbook on your site, try one that uses some Spam control including Capatcha or Askimet (or something like that).

Hi All,

Hope you don't mind if I ask a question in this thread. I use the Viper Guestbook - moderated mode. Is there a big difference between Viper and the Lazarus Guestbook? Don - I think perhaps you have used both. I do get spam although certainly not a lot compared to the amount some people get. It is just a nuisance to reject the few entries each day. Also, would I be able to copy the entries in Viper to Lazarus? I have been curious about Viper vs. Lazarus for a long time. I also agree banning IP addresses doesn't work.

Thanks kindly.

Gail

Thanks for all the comments and suggestions. I'm using the Viper Guestbook from the Fantastico scripts. I did not know, at the time, that Viper was vunerable to spam and unfortuanately I'm to far into it to back out and use a different guest book or other option. I've just looked at Capatcha and Akismet as per your suggestion and don't know a way of incorporating either into the Viper Guestbook.

Unless there is a way to transfer all entries from Viper to another guestbook that supports anti-spam I will be forced to block IP addresses for the time being. My guestbook will only be used during the months of April thru June so at the end of June I can look into something different.

My original question does seem to be unanswered. Am I effectively blocking the whole country of South Korea if I block an IP address that is the last hop before entering the USA?

Thanks again.

My original question does seem to be unanswered. Am I effectively blocking the whole country of South Korea if I block an IP address that is the last hop before entering the USA?

I would think not. The IP banning in CPanel looks at the IP address of the machine that orginated the message. It does not matter what IP addresses (machines / servers / routers / etc.) the message had to pass through to get to you.

I don't know what South Korea's internet infrastructure is like, but I imagine that the IP address you're talking about is a national ISP or backbone node. Unless the messages were initiated from that IP address, banning that IP address wouldn't gain you anything.

Thank you Don for your response. I am thankful that Viper has a moderated mode - at least the spam doesn't reach my Guestbook.

Gail

Gail, I don't think there is a way to import viper entries into Lazarus.

I think carbonize. Has it on the burner to make a script to be able to add entries from viper to Lazarus. But I am not real sure on this. You might want to go here and check it out and ask questions. Lazarus Forums

Thanks JTD. I shall do that when I get a chance.

I actually have downloaded and installed Lazarus on my computer (XAMPP) but I haven't had much time to look at it. I have been thinking of switching for awhile - sadly, I had spent a fair bit of time editing one of the themes for Viper so it is like the rest of my site. That is one reason I hate to switch but I know sooner or later I will have to. I do realize the chap who was working on the Viper project has dropped it. It would be nice if the Viper entries could be imported into Lazarus. Are you out there Carbonize? :)