A Penny...

Head Guru

Nope. I'd probably not stop for less than a dime... but those tiny things are so pesky to try to pick up from the ground I may not at that. :D

Pennies are the scourge of the money world. My evidence? People are so willing to give them away that stores have the "need a penny take a penny, have a penny leave a penny" cup. We should get rid of the 1's and round everything to 5.... except gas! I'll take every cent I can on that. :)

Something useless to think about: If the amount of money that is "too little to bother picking up" is directly proportional to a person's net worth...

If someone with a net worth of $50,000 doesn't feel it's worthwhile to pick up a penny, then Bill Gates, whose net worth is around $50 billion, probably wouldn't stoop down to pick up $10,000.

the US think auto gas prices are bad, move to the UK, its approaching £1 GBP per litre, so thats £5 or so a gallon.

and as for penny picking, its most likely to be mine, i hate penny pieces, everything is 0.99 and thing so you always get loads of them, i mainly throw them at things, put them in a collection tin or leave them somwhere

Nope. I'd probably not stop for less than a dime... but those tiny things are so pesky to try to pick up from the ground I may not at that. :D

Pennies are the scourge of the money world. My evidence? People are so willing to give them away that stores have the "need a penny take a penny, have a penny leave a penny" cup. We should get rid of the 1's and round everything to 5.... except gas! I'll take every cent I can on that. :)

*Head Guru needs to follow bill gates around and do his stooping for him!

lol

Sure....pickup up that penny! I've got a 2 foot tall coca-cola shaped bottle that has all kinds of change in it. Twice I have gotten it nearly full and believe me, it adds up to some nice $ when you cash it in! :group:

the US think auto gas prices are bad, move to the UK, its approaching £1 GBP per litre, so thats £5 or so a gallon.

Please excuse this off-topic delving into the thinking of an Englishman, but...

I hear this comment a lot but the cost of petrol in England or other places being so much doesn't have any relevance to the fact that last year gas was $2.50-ish a gallon and is now $3.28 per gallon here and it worries us. I'd be curious to see how far the average Englishman drives on an average day versus how far an average American drives on an average day. Also, does the UK have any oil refineries? Why is it that the prices are so high and no one has rioted yet? There has to be a reason... everyone there talking to Americans says "Try living here" but no one there seems to think it's a travesty when discussing it amongst themselves.

Just as an example, usatoday.com on the first page has:

States seek relief from high gas costs

Oil prices tumble nearly $2

but a search on the BBC website shows, in the first page of results

Crime on petrol forecourts is on the rise

7 articles of personal interest about WW2

a reading festival

a "yellowbelly petrol" competition (whatever that is :group: )

It seems to me that £1 GBP per litre doesn't bother you guys on a daily basis. Why is that?

Something useless to think about: If the amount of money that is "too little to bother picking up" is directly proportional to a person's net worth...

I disagree. When considering debts versus assets, my net worth is negative... seriously. I believe you are close though. I think that the amount of money not worth picking up is directly proportional to a person's love of money. I'd bet Bill Gates would pick up a penny because, if we are to believe stereotypes and assumptions about him, money is the most important thing to him. I work for a guy who by local standards is quite rich and money is the most important thing in his life and I do believe he'd pick up a penny if no one was around to see the "indignity". (note, I'm not saying WHICH of the guys I work for :group: )

I don't think it's love of money. It's whether or not something has value or gives you pleasure in some form.

My coin bottle is a heavy door stop 99.99% of the time. Even in that incarnation, the coins have value.

The time it takes to roll the coins so they can be cashed in is out of proportion to the value of the coins themselves. I am paid far more than that for my time! But gathering and rolling them is a relaxing hobby that nets a few extra dollars for a special trip/event! In my case, the activity itself gives more pleasure than knowing that you get some spendable money from it.

By the way...the main reason that UK gas prices are so high? TAX RATE on the gas! In US our tax rate is far less than in UK on same product. Take a look at this: h**p://www.answers.com/topic/fuel-tax

I always pick up change if I see it on the ground. I have no shame.

As far as the UK vs US gas prices... I honestly don't know, but how quickly did gas prices (or petrol as you all call it) rise? I remember two years ago I thought it was outrageous that I was paying $1.39/gallon... Today the average gas price in my neighborhood is $3.11... Now that's nearly a 125% rise in two years time (I've heard somewhere it's even higher than that). That's a tough pill to swallow. Not to mention everything is going up (except my paycheck).

Please excuse this off-topic delving into the thinking of an Englishman, but...

I hear this comment a lot but the cost of petrol in England or other places being so much doesn't have any relevance to the fact that last year gas was $2.50-ish a gallon and is now $3.28 per gallon here and it worries us. I'd be curious to see how far the average Englishman drives on an average day versus how far an average American drives on an average day. Also, does the UK have any oil refineries? Why is it that the prices are so high and no one has rioted yet? There has to be a reason... everyone there talking to Americans says "Try living here" but no one there seems to think it's a travesty when discussing it amongst themselves.

Just as an example, usatoday.com on the first page has:

States seek relief from high gas costs

Oil prices tumble nearly $2

but a search on the BBC website shows, in the first page of results

Crime on petrol forecourts is on the rise

7 articles of personal interest about WW2

a reading festival

a "yellowbelly petrol" competition (whatever that is :) )

It seems to me that £1 GBP per litre doesn't bother you guys on a daily basis. Why is that?

:group: :) :offtopic: :offtopic: :offtopic:

Who knows? We have to remember that about 72% of that is tax. The garage makes about 2p out of it and the original oil company makes about 6p profit for it. The rest is all paid for to actually turn it into petrol.

Best bit is, we make the petrol here, and then ship it all the way over to the states and it still makes a profit.

:group: (if you want to continue this one, PM me otherwise Bill will get thoose boards and start on me with them! :) )

With regards to see penny, pick it up or not? Yes I do, but then the next time I see a charity box, in it goes. There are a lot worse people off then me, so that penny should really go to them

JimE

:group: :) :offtopic: :offtopic: :offtopic:

Don't quote me Boss, macheveli started it. :)

(I just said that prices should be rounded unless it's the price of gas cuz pennies are not so important.)

How bout you HG? You haven't said if you pick up pennies.

does the UK have any oil refineries?

yep mainly on the south coast, and few up north and bunsfield (sp) that blew up due to a malfunction earlier this year

and it does, we had fuel blockades, where lorrys blocked roads and people blocked oil raods, most got arrested though. there allegedly one being planned soon

and as for pennies. i keep meaning to go to asda and using the machine that changes your shrapnel into crisp notes :group:

Edited by makaveli

yep mainly on the south coast, and few up north and bunsfield (sp) that blew up due to a malfunction earlier this year

and it does, we had fuel blockades, where lorrys blocked roads and people blocked oil raods, most got arrested though. there allegedly one being planned soon

This is all very interesting I'm sure, but I'm not sure what it has to do with pennies. :offtopic: :whip:

How bout you HG? You haven't said if you pick up pennies.

I'm betting he does. When you only charge $4 a month for hosting, you need all the extra income you can get.

Well this goes with any change I see on the ground.

If its on tails, I keep walking.

If its on heads, I pick it up.

I am very bad about things like:

Never walk under a ladder

Keeping fortune cookie fortunes in my wallet

Never saying never

If i catch a fish on the first cast, I go home

Never any bannanas on my boat... NEVER!

Every pair of penny loafers I have ever owned, had pennies in them.

I never go to the bank or the SOS office on Friday the 13th

I always kiss my wife goodnight, even if we are mad at each other.

Never ever ever buy gasoline at a odd number pump.

The list goes on and on and on....

Wow... I do mostly the opposite.

13 is my lucky number.

I am more likely to pick up change if it is on tails than if it is on heads.

Etc, etc.

However, there is one thing in your post that stands out most... "Never saying never"... This must explain why you keep going above and beyond our expectations. :offtopic:

Loose change I generally will not pickup. Leave it for someone who might need it more than me.

I'd feel guilty even picking up a 10 dollar bill sitting on the sidewalk, unless it was to return it to someone who dropped it.

But when I was in college and had no money, I had no shame in searching our sofa for loose change all time time. :offtopic: