command

Domain Registry Support?

I just received a call from someone allegedly from Domain Registry Support who wanted to verify my domain name and contact information. I explained that I hadn't a clue who he was and he seemed a little miffed. He finally said he wanted to notify me of some changes in domain name rules that would affect me. Does anyone know if "http://www.comainregistrysupport.com" is a legitimate authority that I should be giving information to? ARE there changes to the domains in general that will affect me?

Pardon me if I'm posting to the wrong forum.

Thanks,

Colette

if they aren't your domain registrar, don't trust them. well i wouldn't trust them.

Edited by charle97

I constantly get mail (both email and snail mail) telling me one of my domains is going to expire and I should re-register now. Nevermind that I'm good until 2012 on most of them. It's pretty much a scare tactic trying to get you to register through them.

Like Charles said, if they aren't your registrar, ignore them. Never give out information to anybody that calls or emails you. To see if there are any problems with your domain you should log in to your domain management area on your registrar's website or contact them by phone.

I get that snail-mail too. It offers to renew my domain for me saving me money! (Ironically enough, they want to charge me ~$30/year for my domain... when I can renew it for 1/3 of that price). I toss it in the bit box along with all the credit card offers that will one day either be burned or shredded. Or both.

Thanks very much, folks. That's pretty much what I expected. They weren't claiming that my domain was about to expire but they seemed a little "off" on what they were and weren't telling me. Their site "looks" legitimate enough but so do the fake E-Bay sites. I appreciate your time.

Colette

As is so often said..."If it's too good to be true..." :D

I just received a call from someone allegedly from Domain Registry Support who wanted to verify my domain name and contact information.

We get this kind of thing at work trying to slam our phone service. If it was a legit call from your domain registrar then they would know the name and contact info. Anytime someone calls me and wants to verify info the call is over. Of course, if I call them and they want my security code or DOB then that's different.

Be careful out there - it's a jungle and crooks have no scruples!

I registered my domain privately, so only my domain register has the information. What's displayed to the public is a "domains by proxy" address and contact. So I get to enjoy peace and tranquility... hehe... :D with my rock music... :P

I registered my domain privately, so only my domain register has the information. What's displayed to the public is a "domains by proxy" address and contact. So I get to enjoy peace and tranquility... hehe... :D with my rock music... :P

I'm cheap and didn't want to pay the extra :P

Hello,

I get this alot too. However, I treat it like all spam emails and possible phfish attempts. I go and login (not clicking on any email link or anything, but directley at the site) and see if anything has changed. If not, never mind!

JimE

Domain Registry Support are scammers. If you ever get contacted by them, don't give them any information. Just hang up.

Tell them you will be contacting the authorities about their calls and see if that stops them calling as well. Unsolicited phone calls are being a huge pain and authorities are starting to set in motion mechanisims to have this sort of thing stopped.

In Australia there is a guy who gets the listing of stock holders and send letters with authorities for people to sign to purchase their stock are hugely undervalued amounts. Many elderly people not knowing otherwise have signed the authorities and lost thousands because they didn't realise they were selling their stocks.

There have been similar mailouts here as well where they tell companies that their domain names are expiering and CFO pay them as they don't realise it isn't thier domain name registrar who is contacting them and inadvertantly transfer the registrar.

Basically another form of Phising isn't it.