Need Forum Help

way2kool

I need some help. I need to set up a forum but not sure how. I downloaded the phpbb one but it gave me a bunch of files and folders I don't know what to do with. I don't know much about forums beside the one that bravenet has and I don't like those. To many popup.

Can anyone give me some insight on how to get and set up a forum. I design a website for a publisher and they want a forum, so could use some help.

Patty

The very easiest way is to use the installer in Fantastico on your cPanel control. Click on Fantastico, then install whatever software you want. There is one forum option there, if you are interested.

Best of all, you don't have to do anything else!

I believe SimpleMachines is also offered through Fantastico (still at work so I can't check it right now... firewall rules and all). There are those out there who feel SMF is a bit more powerful/flexible than phpBB (as well as a bit more secure). No bias here :D

1.0.5? I'd highly recommend downloading the latest version from SimpleMachines.org and installing it. It is currently 1.0.7 (or 1.1 RC2 is available for testing), which includes several security fixes over 1.0.5. As with anything you install from cpanel, same goes for Fantastico. Usually they are a version or two behind the upstream vendors. Make sure you keep all your scripts up to date to avoid having your account compromised.

Simple Machines Forum, SMF (1.0.5 [Patched-1]), seems to be the only forum/discussion board software offered through Fantastico at the moment.

However phpBB can be installed from cpanel > Addon Scripts (version 2.0.19)

So you will also have to upgrade it to the latest version by downloading changed files.

Yes definitely upgrade your forums,

in fact subscribe to their forums upgrade notice.

Oops... thanks for pointing that out Don! :)

Interesting, though... why is the cpanel icon called "Scripts Library", and inside it's actually called "Addon Scripts"?

Is the "InvisionBoard 1.2" (available at the same place) the same as Invision Power Board? Or is it a different product?

Oops... thanks for pointing that out Don! :)

Interesting, though... why is the cpanel icon called "Scripts Library", and inside it's actually called "Addon Scripts"?

Is the "InvisionBoard 1.2" (available at the same place) the same as Invision Power Board? Or is it a different product?

It's the same thing, but outdated. 1.2 was the last "free" version that IPS released. I think they are on 2.3 now, which you have to pay for. I wouldn't recommend using 1.2 as there are quite a few vulnerabilities.