Php Q

Russ

I am configuring a Word press plug-in. In order for it to work properly, the pertinent .htaccess file must be writable. The support forum for the plug-in indicates:

Depends on how you are running php.. PHP standalone you need to make it 666 however for CGI:PHP you would use 644.

I presumed the php is not stand alone since it is on the tch Server; however, with 644, validatiion fails; with 666 validation works. Does this make sense? I would prefer not to have the file to be "world" writable.

Could you also provide the link to the page which states this htaccess setting? I seem unable to find it at that website, although I am sure its there

JimE

That page does not specifically go into the .htaccess settings. When I was validating the plug in in WP per the installation instructions (here is link to installation/configuration instructions), the instructions during the validation process told me to chmod .htaccess to 644, and if that didn't cause a successful validation, then to chmod .htaccess to 666 . I questioned this on the plug-in's support forum...here is a link to my original post and the responses. Note, the response links to a WP page that suggests .htaccess need to be writeable.

Hope that helps.

Thank you.

Russ

Russ the .htaccess file only needs to be set to writable during configuration. I have the plugin installed on a test site and it's working fine with the 644 permissions.

Thanks, Bruce.

I cannot get the plug-in to validate in WP unless I set the permission to 666. Should I set to 666 and validate, then go back into cPanel and change to 664? Will the Gallery2 URL Rewrite Rules (whatever they are :( ) continue to workafter I reset the permission to 664? Under what circumstances will I need (if ever) to change the perimssions to 666 again?

Bruce, I appreciate you help on this. Sorry if my questions are basic.

Edited by Russ

The .htaccess file must be writable while you are installing the plugin. This is not uncommon for some PHP programs or plugins. Once you have the plugin installed and working you can change the permissions back to 644.

I installed the plugin a long time ago so I don't remember but once active and validated and working changing it will have no effect.

When WP upgrades they usually make you change the .htaccess file for mod-rewrites. I change my .htaccess permissions, apply the changes and change the permissions back.

The .htaccess file must be writable while you are installing the plugin. This is not uncommon for some PHP programs or plugins. Once you have the plugin installed and working you can change the permissions back to 644.

I installed the plugin a long time ago so I don't remember but once active and validated and working changing it will have no effect.

When WP upgrades they usually make you change the .htaccess file for mod-rewrites. I change my .htaccess permissions, apply the changes and change the permissions back.

Thanks, Bruce!