My Lamp

makaveli

Ok this is going to sound very strange! this has happened twice, i have a desk lamp, (halogen tube one (daylight bulb)) and twice this has happened

the lamp and Base unit are approx 100cm away from each other (around a yard)

and these to occasions when i have powered on my lamp, the Computers Internal Speaker beeps, (much similar to your "startup beep"!)

any ideas what on gods earth this is?? cause it sure as heck has baffled me!

i did think interferance, but what could it be interfereing with :)

its not a life or death hardware issue, infact i find it a bit amusing :)

Edited by TCH-Tim

yeah its only when the tubes are flashing on, i just found it mad, simlpy cause my TV does get intererance, but that recieves wireless signals, my PC doesnt unless the bluetooth adapter is plugged in.

the whole thing just made me wonder..

I used to have a set of PC speakers that would start buzzing seconds before my cell phone started ringing. Just the way it is.

I have that same trouble with my work computer

So if you got good enough, you could answer the phone before it rang? :) lol

Yes! You laugh, but I'm almost always holding my phone in hand before it actually rings....

i know what thats about, its the network sending updates and "where are you" singals.

it happens a bit before calls as the network sends a signal the "where are you" bounces it back, then your phone rings :)

sometimes you can asnwer the phone as soon sas "answer" comes on screen its great :)

Without going into a lot of the technical mumbo jumbo, Bruce and Andy are correct. With my job, we deal with various types of interference on a daily (sometimes hourly) basis. There are several different things you can do, but you just have to find the fix that's right for your particular situation.

We use high-powered radios at the manufacturing facility and if someone is wearing one on a belt while near my computer, my monitor buzzes and when they talk the screen turns into window blinds. My own radio is stored near my computer when plugged in. Once in a while I will have it turned on but not unplugged and a couple of the smarties like to BUZZ me when they know that I have not moved it yet. :)

i have "personal radios" and they do interfere with CRT screens but my LCD doesnt seem to budge with nay RF signals.

got radios for when im out and about in the outdoors to keep in contact with groups of people if were cycling or doing other things you need radios for :)

"Back in the day" we used AM radios tuned to no particular station to see if our computers were hung up or just slow. If they were computing they would make chirps and beeps so we knew it was working.

Back in the day, if I used a radio too close to my Bernoulli box it was unhappy but it never occurred to me to use the radio for testing!

I think CRT monitors are affected by cell phone and other interference because it's dependent on magnetism, am I correct?

yeah.. you know why i know that.. i stuck a huge magnet on a screen for a laugh and wrecked it!

yeah.. you know why i know that.. i stuck a huge magnet on a screen for a laugh and wrecked it!

Well, I know that CRT monitors uses magnets and/or electric fields to adjust the path of a stream of electrons, which hit a (phosphorus?) screen and cause it to illuminate. I think what you did is actually wreck the screen that the electrons shoot to... permanently warping its originally-flat structure.

;) Don't try putting a magnet to your CRT monitor at home (unless you don't want it anymore)... even though your screen will look amusingly pretty for a while.

What I wasn't sure is whether the signal generated by your cell/mobile phone or other RF interference-causing devices are actually affecting the magnetic field directly...

A friend of mine lived in another friend's house for a while... and everytime at night, the telephone starts dialing *all by itself* on speakerphone!! No one picked up on the other end... *shudders* (no... it must be a coincidence... that it happened every night... *screams*)

• 2 months later...

yep all my pc stuff is on a surge/spike protector its fine now it was just a little confusing at the time to me, as in the past my speakers have only been affected by radio waves from my Radio sets and Mobile phone

time to have a nosey round then and check things, i have to admit when it comes to my pc, when its running ill leave it, ill not check it often, its almost as silly as a pilot not doing his pre-flight walk around and check when i think of it