Email Accounts For Children

I have a domain for my family. I want my wife and me to not have restrictions beyond usual TCH anti-spam features. I have 5 children whose email I want to restrict to receiving ONLY from addresses that I have pre-authorized. How can I configure this? Here's the simple logic:

if not passed TCH spam filters

...Reject

else if to Mom@domain.com

...Deliver

else if to Dad@domain.com

...Deliver

else if to kid1@domain.com

...if sender not in familylist or kid1friendslist

......Reject

...else

......Deliver

else if to kid2@domain.com

...if sender not in familylist or kid2friendslist

......Reject

...else

......Deliver

A domain-wide filter wouldn't work since mom or dad could/should get email from people not in the family list or the kids' lists.

The kid lists might be 30-40 addresses each, with no necessary overlap. Familylist would be globally permitted for all kids. It's OK for these lists to be hardcoded in some kind of script that the mailserver can reference.

Familylist would be a set of email addresses whitelisted globally for the domain.

I'd prefer the solution be at the server level so inappropriate emails from non-approved senders cannot POSSIBLY get to my kids.

A tutorial on email filtering would be VERY helpful.

Edited by aar0n

Welcome to the forums, Aaron.

While I don't have experience with email filtering like you are looking for, I hope you find a solution to your question. When you do, please be sure to come back and let us know what you found. I'm sure there are lots of people who would be interested by the information.

Good luck!!

Welcome to the forums :)

Have you looked at http://www.safe2read.com/ ?

It should do what you want.

I took a peek at that. $18/yr isn't bad, but it would seem to me that there should be some more direct way at the host level using SendMail scripts to control this. The logic was as simple as I had pseudo-coded.

I really don't want a "safe2read.com" email address for my kids. I have a domain with my family's surname that I'd like to use.

And thanks to everyone else for the warm welcome!

couldnt you allow them to use an email program but set the spam list so they could only get it from "safe" people?

either that or theyre has to be a plugin for somthing like mozilla thuderbird

Can't help on this issue, but still wanted to say:

Welcome to the Forums!

tch_welsign.gif

I may have found an easier way...

Is SpamAssassin implemented at the domain or at the POP box level? If the latter, I'm in business by creating a manual whitelist and a manual blacklist for each of my kids, assuming that SpamAssassin manual whitelist can override a manual blacklist.

whitelist_from you@ yourdomain . com

whitelist_from me@ mydomain . com

blacklist_from *

This would limit my kid's email to receiving from you and me and EVERYONE else would be flagged as spam and deleted.

If a manual whitelist can override a manual blacklist at the POP level, I'm in great shape with the tools TCH already has. Any SpamAssassin configuration gurus here?

Edited by aar0n

Hmmm....it seems like Spamassassin works at the domain not the user level.

This would thwart the goal of allowing mom & dad to receive from non-whitelisted addresses.

Also, the SpamAssassin interface seems to limit adding blacklist and whitelist addresses to 5 at a time. Is there another way?

Hello,

I have just had a trawl through my thunderbird settings and you can do what you want above with a bit of filtering.

Basically you can set up rules that if the email does not satisfy the requirements, it gets deleted.

It would seem the best option I can think of at present.

JimE

• 8 months later...

Here's what I do... My kids have their own email address (for example, mike@yoursite.com). I've set up a filter for each child that looks for their name in the TO: field

$header_to: contains "mike" preview@yoursite.com

This filter moves the message to a separate account called "preview".

The wife and I have access to the "preview" account, in order to review each message before the kids see it. If acceptable, we use Thunderbird or Outlook to drag it to the proper kid's inbox. It shows up there as a new unread message. Messages that are not acceptable are deleted.