toddcurry

Joe Jobbed Out The Wazoo

Gang,

I've got a dozen email accounts on my domain, and I use _________@**** indiscriminately (have for years). That means blahblah@**** hits my default address and therefore goes into my main mailbox. I've loved this: no incremental time to create a new address for a new site. Filter when one of those starts spamming me.

I've gotten very, very little spam by doing this over the years. Nothing that spamassassin couldn't handle.

However, over the past month, I've been getting joe jobbed to the tune of 400 emails a day.

I could create a bunch of real forwarders and shut off my default. Trouble is that it would be a hundred of forwarders (and I'm sure I'd forget some).

I could also set up some filters to fail the bounces that occur, but then if my mail bounces, I'll never find out.

Any other ideas? Any good challenge / response (server based) software I could put in place (wanted to do this for years)? Any one else getting mega joe jobbed recently?

Thanks all!

TC

The only option you have is to set your default address to :fail: and create forwards for addresses you want to keep.

Spammers are more tenacious at getting the message through these days.

[soapBox user=Paul" mood="cynical]

I don't know if it is *possible* to use a challenge/response system on TCH, but I just want to say how much I hate them. When I send a person an e-mail, I don't want to have to go back and explain to some server software why the message should get through.

I administer an alumni-type website with 700+ resigered users. When other site users send profile updates and somebody has a challenge-response software installed (ie. Earthlink... :) ) I'm the one who has to go in every time and try to convince Earthlink's challenge-response that messages from my domain should be allowed.

Frankly, I don't bother anymore. If somebody doesn't want my messgaes, I just won't send them e-mail.

You'll lose a lot of legitimate mail if you try to install a challenge-response program, in my opinion.

[/soapBox]

Instead, you might try forwarding all messages from your domain to a Gmail account. Gmail does a great job of filtering spam into the spam folder and for the most part, very few legitimate messages make it into the spam box. Only a couple of spams make it into the in box.

It's one suggestion that might work for you.

Toddcurry:

You're a victim of poor planning. Catchall e-mail stopped being viable a few years ago.

I know it was convenient. I used it too, years ago.

And I still see people signing my blog with typical catchall e-mail addresses. And I shake my head every time...

Toddcurry:

You're a victim of poor planning. Catchall e-mail stopped being viable a few years ago.

I know it was convenient. I used it too, years ago.

And I still see people signing my blog with typical catchall e-mail addresses. And I shake my head every time...

I've used a wide-open domain (several) for years, with very few spam making it past spam assassin. Convenience is so nice, and the ability to filter those who go "bad" is fun.

That said, it is literally in the last few weeks that Joe jobbing has reached extremes, and robbed me of this otherwise perfectly happy experience.

If we had more control over Spam Assasin, I could set up a user rule to nuke the "Failed Delivery" messages.

As for challenge / response, I've used mailblocks in the past and found it to be adequate, but require some advance planning when sending to a new address.