I've tried and tried to like Firefox. As a minor computer geek & blogger I feel that I should like it, but I don't. Out of the box it's very basic, I need to go find all these plug ins to make it great. Then if you upgrade FF, the plug ins quit working. Ugh. I want to spend my time browsing, not managing my browser.

Anyway, I found a better alternative, Maxthon. If you think IE is unsecure junk, you won't like it 'cause it's IE based. But, if you don't mind the IE core, it offers tabbed browsing and a ton of features built in. It's skinnable and offers a compliment of plug ins as well.

One of the best features is mouse gestures. What a link opened in a new tab? Drag to the right while clikcing. What to search based on a phrase on a page? Same thing, highlight the text and drag right. the gestures aer configurable and offer many more featrues as well that I haven't yet explored.

Want you tabs at the bottom where your Windows toolbar is? No problem, in FF you need a plugin.

Want to translate the page? Links to babel fish and other translators are built in.

The only down side that I've founs with Maxthon is that there's no Google Toolbar for it. It does have built in search toolbar that you can set to Google, Google but no toolbar.

It's my exclusive browser and I dearly miss it when I'm at another PC.

Yeah, I've been using Maxthon and Firefox for quite a while now. I do like Maxthon, I think it's got a lot of very nice options...like any software application you just have to spend a good deal of time using it to utilize its full capabilities. Nice to hear that someone else uses it.

Stefan

If I was forced (at gunpoint mind you) to use an IE core, I'd have to go with NetCaptor. Probably the best IE-based browser out there (as well as the first to actually include "tabbed browsing" if I remember correctly).

However, I prefer Opera :) No extentions necessary, everything works "out of the box". 9.0 includes many features that make most sites that used to die in Opera work wonderfully (even gmail works perfectly). So I'll stick with it.

I'll stick with Firefox, but thanks for the suggestion.

I'm with Tim on this one.

Interesting suggestion, Salguod.

I'll have a look. I really like how I've customized my Firefox browser, but I'm always game to see something new! :)

THe thing I like about Maxthon is that it worked very well with a lot of extra features out of the box.

I got burned by FF when I started using it on version 1.0, added in several plugins and got it close to where I wanted it. Then I upgraded to 1.5 and many of the plugins quit working. I found the plugins to vary a lot in how they were maintained and documented, a function of the multiple people building them. It was so painful, I gave up. I've gone back to it every now and then and still found some of the plugins, and particularly the skins, were still not updated.

I've also found that Maxthon loads and runs faster and uses less memory than FF.

To each his own, I love Maxthon and can't see using FF, but others feel the oposite.

Edited by salguod

Here's what I know.

Not too long ago a forum user posted a link to a virus-laden page (with a dislaimer not to click it, of course). Being the idiot that I am, I clicked it. I was using Firefox, so of course nothing happened. No sirens, nothing. So, pushing my luck, I opened up IE and clicked the link. And my computer almost blew up. My AV software went nuts, one or two programs opened up (MS photo viewer and notepad if I recall), and IE crashed. Then of course I had to shut everything down and sweep to make sure I didn't just screw myself.

Big, big difference. Especially if you don't have downright paranoid antivirus and antispyware practices in place.

But to each his own.

Not too long ago a forum user posted a link to a virus-laden page (with a dislaimer not to click it, of course). Being the idiot that I am, I clicked it. I was using Firefox, so of course nothing happened. No sirens, nothing. So, pushing my luck, I opened up IE and clicked the link. And my computer almost blew up. My AV software went nuts, one or two programs opened up (MS photo viewer and notepad if I recall), and IE crashed. Then of course I had to shut everything down and sweep to make sure I didn't just screw myself.

Dang I'm glad I didn't click on that link. Even though I am a firefox user most of the time.

Today I tried IE 7.

Hated it.

I am not looking foward to IE 7, more from the point of web design as many tricks and things done to get around problems in IE6 will cause problems in IE7

Firefox all the way for me!

JimE

And they have that activex patent infringement thing going. If you have embedded objects I've read that IE7 will pop up a thing saying "click here to activate" so flash intros, for instance, will require user intervention to show. Yuck.

I made the mistake of installing IE 7 yesterday. I thought that installing IE 7 beta wouldn't replace my IE 6 installation. (This is my work machine. Tech Support is going to kill me. If I dissappear from the forums, it was probably Mike in Tech Support that is responsible....)

I was wrong.

And I hate IE7. Hate may not be strong enough of a word. And I'm really bugged that I lost IE 6 because I have to do screen grabs for the software I'm documenting... Jeepers. Guess they'll be firefox screen shots!

I installed IE 7 beta 2 a few days ago since it would be safe according to several media to do this.

Installation was quick and everything went smooth. Then it was time to give it a test run.

I don´t think I have ever seen my computer so inoperationable before. With inoperationable I mean that both antivirus, firewall and antispam/adblocker went poof gone. If any other programs had these problems too I don´t know since I uninstalled this beta very quick. After the uninstall, everything went back to normal.

Just a little word of advice if anyone tries to test the latest beta of IE7.

Sorry to the original author of this thread that I went a bit off topic.

Wonder what will happen to Maxthon when IE7 upgrades. Will they keep the same old IE6 core, or will they have to rewrite. And when they do, will everybody's plugins break?

Good point Tim.

Wonder if that's why Maxthon's features have worked so long - they haven't upgraded IE in ages. ;)

Wonder what will happen to Maxthon when IE7 upgrades. Will they keep the same old IE6 core, or will they have to rewrite. And when they do, will everybody's plugins break?

Heh. I hadn't thought of that.

Maxthon, because it has more features out of the box, is less reliant on plugins than FF so it shouldn't be as big of a deal. I browsed the Maxthon Forums a bit and found that it is already compatible with the IE7 betas, but you'll have to wait until Maxthon 2.0 (It's at 1.5.3 now) to be able to take advantage of all the new IE7 security features, whatever they are. It's all somewhat speculative now, but evidently some of those folks on the forum are Maxthon 2.0 alpha testers. Maxthon 2.0 (supposedly a complete re-write) won't be final until IE7 is in a stable release and I guess should be compatible with both IE6 and IE7. Supposedly the plugins should work just fine too, but given my experience with FF plugins I'll believe it when I see it.

To be fair to FF, my experience with broken plugins was with the FF 1.0 to 1.5 upgrade. I've heard (don't remember where) that future upgrades of FF should not be so hard on the plugins. I don't know why, but that's what I heard. The few plug ins that I had used with FF are still not 1.5 compatible.

im a firefoxer :)

in my time i have tried a good few browsers, i do like to have loads installed for the purposes of testing and playing, cos hey, if it has buttons, thou shalt press it, that my freinds, is the commandment jesus simply forgot about as it was nearly lunch time....

but i think my top 3 browsers

Firefox

Safari

Opera

ive tried the new mozilla suite "seamonkey" but its just too plain,

tried netscape, didnt last long!

safari i like cause its very firefox-esque :)

i hate IE with a passion, and only use it when a page hates FF, one example being odeon, (who i work for) they got under tremendous pressure for disabled accsess and compatibility. the old version would ONLY EVER work in IE, due to very bad Javascript menus! hundeedds of XHTML non compliance errors too!

Firefox is now my home.. i have i set nice, brushed metal safari skin, sage for RSS, and forums like this on the top bar, is a nifty setup, also got plugins for weather and downloads.. its sweet :P

Edited by makaveli