Dotted Line Around Buttons

ivanmax

N/m, I think thats something the IE patch added, its part of the flash :)

I will make a flash button and upload it to my site in a min and see if I am correct.

Then again, I havnt re-installed macromedia flash on this laptop yet, so I will have to wait :( but I think it does have something to do with the IE patch / or flash player patch - unless you have messed with the buttons of late and changed a setting.

Edited by Alan

Thanks Bruce. You are a guy really. Do you mean I need now to redo all my buttons using firefox? Well, I will do it if I have to as I find that box really horrible. How can the guys of Microsoft do this? I suppose this is costing money to a lot of people...

Please let me know if that if what I need to do.

Regards,

Iván.

IE 6 shows the control box over each button area as I hover. Since the areas overlap there are left overs or ghost sections of the previous box as I move my mouse down the list.

Try resizing the menu button areas (or button area maps) so they do not overlap the other buttons. That way the boxes will 'go away' as you mouse away from each button

in Firefox, an alternate internet browser and a great replacement for IE, the site does not display properly. The images at the bottom of the page overlay on top of the last paragraph making it unreadable. However, the menu buttons work great.

I moved up from the second (mod kits) button and see this:

2 boxes post-7993-1145630581_thumb.jpg

Nothing can be done about that at all? I was thinking that if each button area did not over lap the next one the text would not be blocked by the previous box... (US or MOD)

In my unpatched version of IE it looks fine.

Ivan - are you seeing the "Click to activate this control" popup? Whether or not you are is key to this thread.

Recently Microsoft lost a lawsuit and it is impacting the way IE will handle some ActiveX controls. From Microsoft's website:

After a forthcoming update, Microsoft Internet Explorer users will not be able to directly interact with Microsoft ActiveX controls loaded by the APPLET, EMBED, or OBJECT elements. Users will be able to interact with such controls after activating their user interfaces.

There are workarounds for it that you can implement as a developer, and I believe there was a discussion about this in the forums recently.

Do you mean I need now to redo all my buttons using firefox? Well, I will do it if I have to as I find that box really horrible. How can the guys of Microsoft do this?

Iván,

From this post, it sounds like you are unaware of what Firefox is. It isn't a graphics program, it is an alternative web browser. While most of the world uses Microsoft's Internet Explorer browser to look at web pages, there are other alternatives out there. Many people in the TCH forums use a program called Firefox from Mozilla (http://www.getfirefox.com) for looking at web pages instead of using Internet Explorer.

I'm sorry if this is coming across as too Neophyte-ish, but from your posts, it sounds like you may not be entirely familiar with the Firefox program.

So what Bruce is saying is that any website visitor that is using the newest patch of Microsoft Internet Explorer will see the boxes around any Flash object. Since your buttons are individual flash elements, there will be a box around each on separately. This is a security control so that Flash elements won't start without your permission. They are trying to give control of the security of a website to the website visitor.

If, however, your website visitors are using a different browser, like Firefox, Netscape, Opera, or Safari (to name a few), they won't see the boxes around the menu items.

One way you could deal with this is to make all the menu items part of one Flash animation, so that users only had to click on the area once to activate it. But you would still have to activate the controls on every page.

Best case scenario here is probably going to be moving away from using Flash animation for your menu items.

I hope this explanation helps. If you already knew all of this, then don't hate me for trying to explain something you already knew! :notworthy:

Best wishes.

firefox seems complicated to me bruce :D fly to mississppi and hold my hand while I learn to use it :notworthy: Microsoft is starting to make IE more and more lame each patch.

and btw, sorry I didnt respond earlier, I have been playing Elder Scrolls IV Oblivion alot lately when im not working, and walmart is working me a good bit :D 5 days a week :P

Edit - > yea I see the box :notworthy:

Edited by Alan

So what Bruce is saying is that any website visitor that is using the newest patch of Microsoft Internet Explorer will see the boxes around any Flash object. Since your buttons are individual flash elements, there will be a box around each on separately. This is a security control so that Flash elements won't start without your permission. They are trying to give control of the security of a website to the website visitor.

When I first viewed the page I could not see the boxes. After patching, I certainly do see them and each button must be activated separately. So now to use the menu, I have to DOUBLE click on an item just to get to the linked material. What a pain in the neck.

Just checked some applets, embedded sound and had to click to activate. The page with sound had a POPUP to activate Active X as you enter the page. But strangely, a little video I have embedded as a sample still runs fine with no warning. Using this code:

<EMBED SRC="filenamehere.ASF" AUTOSTART="TRUE" LOOP="FALSE"></EMBED>

With this bonehead move, MS just royally ticked off a ton of people! I see a new wave of people moving to Firefox to get away from this wacky stuff.

Why do some of those BLINK? Movement is quite jumpy with many of them in IE, while being very steady in Firefox.

Ok the three thing I found:

1] the first page the images are covering the bottom text

2] send us your pedal link does not work

3] when clicking on one of the last two links, the links all go white background, the reverts to normal..

I use Firefox

Why do some of those BLINK? Movement is quite jumpy with many of them in IE, while being very steady in Firefox.
Don, I was referring to the CSS page. My IE (not Firefox) browser renders the menus fine, but when you mouseover the graphic change gets a white flash between colors....causes a blinking or jumpy effect on some of the menus. The ones with light colors have less noticeable flash of white... Wish I could capture what I see but it happens too fast. Using ie6 all patches applied.

And that's a BAD thing?

Nope don't think I said that, did I? :no2:

There are workarounds for it that you can implement as a developer, and I believe there was a discussion about this in the forums recently.

Anyone know the link to that post?

• 2 weeks later...

Reading this thread got me concerned about some flash used in some of my sites, so I checked them out again in my updated IE6. Sure enough, there was the dotted line, and the click popup.

So I did some searching, and came up with a little program called Flash Object (name has recently been changed to SWFObject). There is a Dreamweaver extension for this that makes it really easy to replace the original flash <object> and <embed> stuff with very clean code that overcomes the new IE problem. Using the extension, I was able to fix 3 sites in less than 10 minutes, without having to really understand the javascript file. ;)

Here are some links:

SWFObject Dreamweaver Extension

SWFObject - to solve the IE update problem with flash and active x

• 2 weeks later...

hey guys,

Don't know if you have solved this problem yet but i have checked out the swfobject and it seems to complicated, I have a much easier solution and it is tested....

Just paste the following code into a file called removeline.js

theObjects = document.getElementsByTagName("object");

for (var i = 0; i < theObjects.length; i++) {

theObjects.outerHTML = theObjects.outerHTML;

}

then paste the following script at the end of each page where you have a flash movie, preferebly just before the </body> tag:

<script type="text/javascript" src="removeline.js"></script>

Tried your patch and it did resolve the problem with embedded flash on a couple pages.

Unfortunately it did not resolve the same problem for applets that are also experiencing the dotted lines around and "activation required" notice. Will try to implement the other to see if it resolves all the problems.

Welcome to the Forums! tch_welsign.gif