Port Scanning

jayson

My spyware was going crazy today, (I use spystopper pro) and it create a log, I did a IPWhoswho, and I found that these too were scanning my prot.

Asia Pacific Network Inforation Centre

NECTARTECH SERVICES

What does it mean when my "port is scanned"?

Does that mean a hacker has my ip address and is trying to access my computer?

Thanks

Pretty much just part of life on the Internet, especially with the advent of high speed always-on connections. Port scanning is usually an automated process where someone is looking for open or unsecure ports on a range of IPs. Your job is to keep unused ports closed, and keep open ports restricted.

Keep security patches up to date, keep your firewall rules tight, and keep your fingers crossed.

Jayson, which port was being scanned? Nowadays port scanning is a common occurrance and most of us turn off the logs for the common port scans. I'll take an educated guess and say it was port 138 that was scanned...as long as your firewall is blocking them I would not worry.

I'll take an educated guess and say it was port 138 that was scanned...as long as your firewall is blocking them I would not worry.

Logged Entry Wednesday, Apr 19 2006 at 12:07:09 PM

Remote Port: 21213

Local Port: 80

Host: 163.28.32.104

[PORT SCAN]

[bLOCKED]

It was port 80...does that mean anything?

As Tim said, port 80 is used by http and web servers listen to that port and keep it open. Hackers will scan that port and search for known bugs in the possible web services that would be running, IIS for instance on a Windows server. I don't believe you will have web services installed on your home PC and your software has blocked access to the port and you are secure from that specific port scan.