Cron Error - Get: Permission Denied

wcx

Hey Guys,

I am trying to set up a cron job, and am having isses with it erroring out. I believe it is due to the fact that the cron GET command has been disabled on the TCH servers for security reasons, but for the life of me cant figure out an alternative way of executing the cron job.

Here is the cron job I am trying to run:

>GET http://www.mydomainname.com/folder/folder/script_I_am_running.php > /dev/null

and here is the error:

>/bin/sh: line 1: /usr/bin/GET: Permission denied

Is it possible to run it as a php file instead?? Perhaps like:

>/usr/bin/php /home/mycpanelname/public_html/folder/folder/script_I_am_running.php > /dev/null

and if so, do I need the "> /dev/null" at the end??

Thanks in advance.

Edited by wcx

You will need to run it as a php (your last option) rather than using GET.

The " > /dev/null" on the end simply tells it do dump the output, rather than sending it to you on the email. It depends what the script does as to if you want it sent or not.

It took me awhile to figure out cron jobs as well, but what I do to execute a PHP script is a lynx dump command:

lynx -dump http://www.yoursite.com/script_to_run.php

If you don't want to receive emails from the cron thing, then clear the field in the cron section that asks you for the email.

Hope that helps, although it seems you have already solved the problem.