Cleaning Up My Server Space

Hello,

I have been with TCH for a few years now, and I'm just thrilled with all aspects of your service! I have not done much work on my small family site for the past couple of years and want to start over from scratch. I have used my FTP client to have look at all the folders that are resident under my login. I was hoping someone can advise me which files/folders are safe to delete without losing any email mail settings? I assume I can delete the public_html folder and the public_ftp. As far as the www - > public_html folder goes I am not sure. There are several folders with neomail extensions, which as I understand it are no longer supported at TCH, does that mean I can delete them with 0 problem? As for the others, etc, tmp, htpasswords, cpaneldatastore I assume they need to stay. There are 8 files in the root folder as well, again I assume those must stay and are not specificly connected to any content within my site.

Any advice is appreciated as I am very green with all this server stuff.

Kelly :eek:

Hi Kelly,

Welcome to the boards!

I'm sure that someone from TCH will answer your question about the different folders but the public_html folder is the location where all your online files are. That's the folder the world looks at when they visit your site. Don't delete that folder or the files in it or your site may stop working.

Good Luck!

Hi Kelly,

Welcome to the boards!

I'm sure that someone from TCH will answer your question about the different folders but the public_html folder is the location where all your online files are. That's the folder the world looks at when they visit your site. Don't delete that folder or the files in it or your site may stop working.

Good Luck!

Thanks Kevan,

I actually want to nuke my site as it is now and I will do that by deleting all the file within my public_html folder. Before I did that I wanted to be sure that I was not going to loss any mail setting in the process. I'm pretty sure I won't but thought I would check with the pros first. Then I started looking at all the other files and folders and realized I don't really have a clue what I'm doing so that is what prompted my first post.

Thanks again Kevan,

Kelly

Well, one thing you can do is use CPanel to make a complete backup of your site. Download the backup and store it somewhere safe. If you backup everything first you can always have the site restored and start over deleting again.

You can also check your e-mail settings through CPanel.

Edited by Kevan

Deleting the content in the public_html directory (but not the directory itself) will suffice for what you want to accomplish. You should also clear out any MySQL databases you might have had through cpanel. Of course, as mentioned, take a full backup (just in case) first. Mail settings are stored elsewhere. Good luck, let us know how everything goes, and welcome to the forums!

Welcome to the forums Kelly.

If your plan is to start all over again, Bruce's advise is the way to go. But make sure that you do have the backup of all your data first. Login to your CPanel -> Backup -> Full backup. Copy that to your local system and then post a ticket to the help desk (link above) to reprovision your hosting account.,you have a clean account to play with, again :eek: