joseftu

Migrating From Blogger To Wordpress

My wife has had a blogger blog for a long time, and it was OK for her basic uses. But recently she's started doing some podcasting and vodcasting (she teaches art history--so she makes museum tours and conversations about paintings for her students), so blogger just really wasn't robust enough. I sold her on getting her own domain, and a wordpress blog, because the podpress plugin is so easy and full-featured.

So I registered the domain, and set up the hosting here at TCH, and then installed Wordpress for her (that fantastico installation is, well, FANTASTIC!).

Wordpress then has an admin tool to automatically import a blogger blog with all posts and everything, directly into wordpress.

But that tool can not be used at TCH, because it requires that CURL be enabled, and that's not going to happen (for security reasons) at TCH.

So I found this workaround, and I thought I'd post it in case anyone wants to make the same kind of move.

It's not too difficult.

After you've installed wordpress on your site (use that fantastico!), the first thing to do is to create for yourself a new blog at wordpress.com. This is free, and very quick (just fill out the quick form and wait for the activation email). You're not really going to use this blog, it's just a temporary step.

Then you go to that new blog at wordpress.com, and in the administration interface, you'll see the "import" section. Wordpress.com does have curl enabled, so you can do the import just by following the steps (you need to enter your blogger username and password). It's about three clicks and some waiting while blogger "publishes," and now your wordpress blog will have all the content from your blogger blog.

There may be some small problems to clean up. For example, for some reason, wordpress imported every single post twice from blogger--so there were doubles of all of them. Also, blogger uses curly quotes and apostrophes, and wordpress does not, so those will not come through correctly.

Don't worry about any of these problems. You'll fix them later (and some will go away by themselves).

Now you have a blog at wordpress.com, which is essentially the same as your blogger blog.

The next step is to get that to your new wordpress blog. To do this, you're going to use the wordpress rss feed from the wordpress.com blog.

But! the default theme on wordpress.com does *not* publish a feed. So that won't work. You need to go to the "presentation" section of that wordpress.com blog, and choose a different theme (Regulus 2 is a good one). Then in the "options" -> "reading" section of the wordpress admin interface, you need to tell the blog to publish the feed with full text, and to include all the posts you have (the "most recent" however many there are in total. This may be a very big number if you've had the blog for a long time. The Blog Stats on the Dashboard will tell you how many there are.

Now you can view the blog (the wordpress.com blog), and you'll see the link for full feeds. You can click on that, and you'll get a browser window full of weird text. This is the xml document, and what you need to do is copy all (*ALL*) of that text, paste it into a text editor, and save it with an .xml extension on your desktop (or wherever you like).

You're almost done, now.

Just go now to the admin interface of you "real" blog--the one that's on your own TCH-hosted site. Get to the "import" section there...but now, instead of importing a blogger blog, you're going to choose to import from an rss feed. You just browse to the .xml file you saved before, click "import" and wait. You'll get your full blog, the archives, all the categories, everything (except the comments! :)).

That's it!

Hope it helps someone. It took me a while to figure it out!

Thank you for taking the time to let us know about the work around that you found.

Well, just to update, something I don't understand. My whole workaround looks to have been unnecessary, because the import function built in to Wordpress actually does work, just fine, on TCH. Not sure why I was getting the "curl is not enabled" error message to begin with, but I'm definitely not getting it now.

Let the workaround stay, in case it helps someone in some situation, but if you want to move from Blogger to Wordpress at TCH...it's even easier than that workaround! Wordpress should do it all for you.

[Emily Litella Voice]Never Mind![/Voice]

B)

I will leave the post but I would suggest that anyone else having an issue using the import module in Wordpress to please open help desk ticket first. The import function should work since only command line Curl is disabled and the import script does not use those type of Curl statements.

Does the built-in Wordpress importer bring in the comments as well??

I did not experience too much problems migrating from Blogger to WordPress, the import function works fine on TCH servers... though a few things I experienced are listed below:

1. A minor annoyance was that the importing was rather slow... it happened much faster on my WordPress.com experiment. Perhaps the server on WordPress.com was faster?

2. A minor problem I experienced was two entries (out of 269) had their titles changed to a sequence of numbers. Not sure what caused that, but they were quite easy to edit and fix up... you'll probably want to categorize your imported blogger posts anyway (which was the most time consuming thing for me). So you can fix up the titles when you come across them.

3. A bigger problem is that images that were floated left or right were not imported correctly. I think the float tags are removed in the import process. For me, using the default WP theme, I had to manually add [class=alignleft] or [class=alignright] to every image... for the default theme, those tags float the images left and right, and automatically adds some padding.

By the way, when I was still deciding on whether to purchase my own hosting service, I experimented on a free server that broke the Blogger importing tool... so I did the WordPress.com, then massive RSS file import thing joseftu suggested. It worked!

1. A minor annoyance was that the importing was rather slow... it happened much faster on my WordPress.com experiment. Perhaps the server on WordPress.com was faster?

Many things can effect the speed of the import.

1) What time of day did you do your import? Maybe the server you are on was running backups or AwStats which eat up CPU cycles.

2) Internet traffic. Many routes are taken to go between server A and server B.

Just an opinion. The servers on TCH are as fast or faster than any servers I've ever used.

As for the other two points I can't comment since I've never done an import from Blogger to Wordpress. But I did do an import from Blogger to Movable Type and it stripped things from my posts as well. Going from MT to Wordpress I lost things too. I'm sure they can write conversions and importers for most anything but it will never be 100% exact.