Presentation & Plugin Menus

Hi, I've installed Wordpress several times, cleared the SQL datatbase, (Wordpress version 2.0.2), but the Presentation & Plugin menus display blank pages after I've logged in as Admin. I'm assuming it's either a cliche in my cPanel or the way the server (26) is setup.

Anyway, no biggie, but I wonder if anyone else has this issue with Wordpress 2.0.2.

thanks,

Stefan

I haven't had this trouble. But I haven't installed from Fantastico. Is this a fantastico installation or is it a "from scratch" installation?

I haven't had this trouble. But I haven't installed from Fantastico. Is this a fantastico installation or is it a "from scratch" installation?

from scratch, hmm...maybe I should consider using the Fantastico installation.

from scratch, hmm...maybe I should consider using the Fantastico installation.

OKAY, I just used Fantastico (for the first time since it was installed at TCH) to install Wordpress. It WORKED great! I think maybe I used the wrong configurations for my own installation (I was installing within a sub-domain, but specified the folder name, not the specific sub-domain name).

Thank you TCH for giving us this nice gift. I wasn't planning to use Fantastico, but I forced my own hand. :)

Stefan

Great!

Now, you might want to check to see if Fantastico has the lastest version of WordPress installed. It is really easy to upgrade your WP to a new installation once you have one going.

Great!

Now, you might want to check to see if Fantastico has the lastest version of WordPress installed. It is really easy to upgrade your WP to a new installation once you have one going.

Thanks for the tip :D Yes, Fantastico does have the latest version (2.0.2) ready for installation. I've already added some additional themes and plugins; they're working fine.

Version 2.0.2 is the current version so the one installed with Fantastico at the time of this post is current.

YES, to clear up any confusion...YES, this is the latest version. You can check mine at:

h**p://stefan.phatfunkjazz.com/wordpress/

The only difference between my current Wordpress installation and the Fantastico one is that I updated my theme.

Edited by phatfunkjazz

Cool site!

Mighy suggest you consider allowing WordPress to update your permalink structure so the URLs are "pretty"?

I hear it helps with SEO as well as making it easier to read.

Just a thought!

Cool site!

Mighy suggest you consider allowing WordPress to update your permalink structure so the URLs are "pretty"?

I hear it helps with SEO as well as making it easier to read.

Just a thought!

thanks...I'll check it out. Frankly, I don't even understand what "pretty" URLs are about, or pemalinks. I haven't spent enough time with Wordpress to fully grasp its full potential. Too much time on the guitar, I suppose.

Stefan

If you want, go to my blog site (hosted by TCH) and compare the URLs for posts to the URLS for your posts.

Do the same for categories/archives/etc.

When you use permalinks, Wordpress uses some settings in the .htaccess file to make it look like all the posts are in folders that correspond to the year/month/day they were written, and then has a pretty version of the post name as the final directory/file. In reality, none of these directories exist, but the .htaccess file knows how to get the correct information from the database that way.

It isn't that important, but I think it looks a lot better than using the page_id variable that is the default implementation by WordPress.

If you want, go to my blog site (hosted by TCH) and compare the URLs for posts to the URLS for your posts.

Do the same for categories/archives/etc.

When you use permalinks, Wordpress uses some settings in the .htaccess file to make it look like all the posts are in folders that correspond to the year/month/day they were written, and then has a pretty version of the post name as the final directory/file. In reality, none of these directories exist, but the .htaccess file knows how to get the correct information from the database that way.

It isn't that important, but I think it looks a lot better than using the page_id variable that is the default implementation by WordPress.

yeah, I just started making some of those changes; I had to create a .htaccess file first before writing to it. Its' coming...thanks for your expert tips. :)