The Other People On My Server Are Going To Hate Me

A site I host for somebody else, that normally gets from 200 - 500 visitors a day just got mentioned in a Digg post. It's not the main topic, and is just linked from a comment, but I'd imagine traffic would go up a bit.

Be prepaired, if the site begins to use excessive resources it may be pulled until the activity subsides. The bandwidth will be brutal as well.

The good thing, it was a fairly quite thread/topic (and as I said it wasn't the main topic), we have plenty of bandwidth, and we have a good cache plugin that serves up cached pages to visitors.

The good thing, it was a fairly quite thread/topic (and as I said it wasn't the main topic), we have plenty of bandwidth, and we have a good cache plugin that serves up cached pages to visitors.

You sound like someone who has thought well ahead...

*TCH-MikeJ likes.

You sound like someone who has thought well ahead...

*TCH-MikeJ likes.

I try :lol: but I can't claim credit for much (other than prodding them to install the plugin and not loading their site up with lots of graphics).

If anybody else runs a Wordpress site, this is a must-have plugin:

WP-Cache

It Caches your Wordpress pages in a static file for however long you want (default is to serve up a cached page for 60 minutes to anonymous users - you can adjust that up or down, when it hits the time limit it refreshes the page from the database).

Basically it cuts your database queries down to nothing, because it's just serving up static files from the server, and at that point your main worry is bandwidth.

It's worked well, and thankfully this wasn't a true "digg" (although we have a special template that cuts the front page as well as the site down to nothing but text and whatever images are in the stories in case that ever happens).