Faked Sender Spamruns

annie

I run a few mailservers, so I'm familiar with faked sender spamruns. My experience has been that Leo Kuvayev has been behind most of them.

But I thought of something. With domains on a webhost such as TCH, and catch-all turned off, you won't know if there's a spamrun misusing your domain.

Maybe there should be SOME kind of functionality in cpanel that made it possible to find that out?

Say if there was a tally of the number of bounces or some mail statistics?

Some domain owners are afraid the spamruns will reflect badly on them. I've experienced guestbook spam joe jobs, so I know the recipients of spam can sometimes go proactive. I got messages in my guestbook I didn't understand until one poster explained it to me. Then I put up a notice on my site about it, and the proactive types went elsewhere to protest.

So, is there any way we can find out about the spamruns without enabling catc-all (and it should stay firmly OFF, in my opinion).

So, is there any way we can find out about the spamruns without enabling catc-all (and it should stay firmly OFF, in my opinion).

No there isn't, really. Your best bet might be to make an abuse@yourtchdomain.com email address (or alias) if you don't have one already, as that will most likely be the default address someone complaining about it might send it to so you might get info that way.