My Scanner & Printer Is Dead

TCH-Thomas

Hi everyone,

I am not sure how to explain this but here it goes,

Yesterday about 20 times my scanner started by itself, without me needing to do anything at all. I could even be away from it and it started.

When the scanner was about to make its last self start, a message showed up on my screen. It was a "Generic host process has encountered a problem and must close" message. It did (as usual) say something more but I didn´t pay attention to it unfortunately.

In the evening I needed to print out something, the printer was dead.

Without thinking too much about the dead printer I was going to scan something today, the scanner was also dead.

I have uninstalled, reinstalled the printer and scanner stuff, pulled my hair, sworn many times.

No viruses or spyware or other evil things has been found in scans.

Does anyone have any ideas what I can do about this except reinstalling windows (which I pray on my bare knees won´t be needed). I know as said this wasn´t too well explained so please ask any questions. :(

Thomas, could be lots of things and not sure you've given us enough information. What make and model is the Printer and scanner. Is it an All-in-one combination or separate units. I would assume its an all-in-one if they have both gone south at once.

Next questions would be what have you installed recently or added or done recently to the computer. Sometimes installing new things will cause other things to go bad. Have you check the cables to make sure they are connected properly, sometimes they come loose without your noticing.

And of course the obvious questions...have you shut down the computer and powered off the printer/scanner and restarted?

Thanks guys. ;)

No problem with the questions. If you need to ask more, keep the questions coming. :)

What make and model is the Printer and scanner. How old is this printer/scanner?

Scanner: Canon Lide 20 (2 years old this summer)

Printer: HP Deskjet 845c (3-4 years, sorry I dont remember exactly when I bought it)

Both are usb

have you installed recently or added or done recently to the computer.

Nothing

Have you check the cables to make sure they are connected properly

Yes, all is and were connected

have you shut down the computer and powered off the printer/scanner and restarted?

Yes

Have you looked through your services to make sure one of the ones you need is not turned off by mistake?

Yes

You could try swearing a bit more. I don't know if it would help solve the problem, but you might feel better.

Every time I walk in to the room, I still do. :P

Sorry, I had missed the error log question.

Yes, I have checked it and I find one log about it, but it was when I just tried printing something. After the time all uninstall/reinstall, it shows nothing.

Also have you tried plugging this bits into another computer to rule out a power failure?

Yes.

If they both work when you plug them into another PC, then you have a problem on the other PC. If they don't work on the second PC then you can be fairly sure they are both broken.

One possibility for both breaking at the same time would be a power surge or lightening strike.

so it has happened something in mine.

Afraid so. I would start with restoring using the System Restore points in Win XP. Select a point closest to before the problem started and work your way backwards. If you can't find a point that fixes the problem restore back to today (save a point first).

Next thing to try is to uninstall all the software using Add/Remove Programs in Control Panel. Then into Printer/Scanners in Control Panel and remove them from there.

Now reboot and try to reinstall and re-add them to the System...good luck.

Uh oh...no I have problem.

I don´t use the system restore feature, long story but I have been having problems with it before so it´s disabled.

Shall I try it anyway (making a new restore point for today)?

Next thing to try is to uninstall all the software using Add/Remove Programs in Control Panel.

Do you mean ALL programs or just scanner and printer software?

Are you plugging them back in to the same USB ports? Have you tried different USB ports? It seems silly, but (and I found this out by plugging a printer in to my laptop) it matters what port it's in. If I put it in a different USB port then the one I had it in when I installed the driver, it tells me it's a brand new device and requests I install the drivers for it. Perhaps you could (just for kicks) try different ports. Or if you only have 2 available, swap them.

Ok, I am back after trying Bobs instructions and it´s still dead.

As for Aarons suggestion, I don´t took notice on which port either one was in from the beginning, so I might have plugged them in to different ones now or same. But I will try to plug them in others next time if needed. :)

Hmmm, running out of options here.

I don´t use the system restore feature, long story but I have been having problems with it before so it´s disabled.

Doesn't sound good and it may be you need re-install from scratch...recovery CD back to factory settings :)

But keep trying other suggestions, maybe someone can jar it loose.