Phpbb - Dude... Where's My Forums?

I run a World of Warcraft guild and as such have built a WoW Forum for our members to use. I maintain all the maintenance on the PHPBB forum for us and the other day one of my players sent me a message saying that her avatar image was gone and in fact all of the avatar images for everyone were gone.

Perplexed, I went in to investigate only to find that not only are almost all the avatars gone for my players but many of the forums have been deleted out of their categories. Some users that were able to post have been set to Disabled, the default setting I have (No one can post until you are verified by me as a member of the guild).

Apart from being hacked, I cannot figure out why all this data has been deleted. I am using the latest available PHPBB build from TCH (2.0.18). I am a bit upset at this devolopment. I will be checking my IP logs when I get home to see who has been snooping around my DNS. It's almost as if the MySQL database for the forums has been damaged.

Any thoughts on this?

I have a backup thankfully but it is two weeks old. A lot of data is going to be lost and I am sure I am going to have reupload the avatar pack I designed for the guild... blah...

2.0.18 is not the most recent version of phpBB. While the one in cPanel may be that version it may not be the most current and it is up to the user to be sure they are running the latest versions. You can get the updates and apply them yourself directly from the phpBB web site.

TCH has no control over the version that is included with cPanel.

Updates to phpBB are pretty easy to do manually.

I'm sorry to hear that your forum got hacked. That is a bummer.

You might try porting to Simple Machines Forum (SMF). I don't personally love it, but there are some HUGE SMF fans out there. The benefit, in your case, for SMF is that they apparently have one-click installs where you can update your installation from within your control panel.

The trouble with phpBB forums is that because of their popularity, they get attacked more often than les popular forums (kind of like the virus trouble that Windows XP has, opposed to the virus trouble that Mac OS or Linux have).

Best wishes. Sorry you lost data. That's really lousy.

Thanks for the welcome guys. When I get home I'll open up that ticket and see if they can recover any of the data. I will also log in to my FTP site and check the avatars folder to see if the images in there were wiped. I've had image files get corrupted with PHPBB before causing certain parts of the theme layout not to load. I upload a new copy of the image file and it fixes it.

The forums though is the killer. All the categories are still in place but a lot of forums have disappeared. Baring a stranger server malfunction, I can only conclude this was a hack job done to me.

Talk about a bunch of bored losers. An insignifcant forums out the in the middle of no where in the net universe and some low life comes along and nukes it for the fun of it.

Geosword, you might consider doing a nightly backup cron job of your database.

I have eight cron jobs for a particularly important database:

1. runs daily at 12:00 noon. Saves the backup file to the root directory with "daily" in the filename.

2. runs on Sunday morning at 3:00 AM. Saves the backup file to the root directory with "sunday" in the filename.

3. runs on Monday morning at 3:00 AM. Saves the backup file to the root directory with "monday" in the filename.

4-8 run once a week on Tuesday - Saturday at 3:00 AM. Each saves the backup file to the root directory with the day it was run (like 2 and 3).

That way, if something happens to the database/site, I have DB backups for each of the last 7 days. I'm on my site often enough that I would notice database trouble before seven days has gone by. But you could add some cron jobs to happen every 1st or 15th of the month or whatever. If you wanted, you could create a back up for every day of the month. Then you'd have a backup for each of the last 30 days. That would be more extreme, in my opinion, but if your data is important to you and you are afraid you might not see DB trouble early enough, then you could have the MOST RECENT info before the site got into trouble.

Just a suggestion for the future. We live and learn, no?

Here is a thread that shows the specific command that I use for backing up my databases using the mysqldump command:

http://www.totalchoicehosting.com/forums/i...showtopic=10022

This one is simple, and doesn't require that you add any extra php files to your site.

Welcome to the forums Geosword.

Check your mysql database, if everything is there, it may just be a template hack.

Backups are always good to have and sorry to hear about your forum problems.

I believe the latest phpBB is 2.0.19, released back in Dec 2005. I suggest you get the upgrade files from www.phpBB.com. You can also sign up for an email to be sent to you when the next update arrives.

I choose to use phpBB because I believe its better then many others out there.

JimE

Welcome to the forums Geosword.

Check your mysql database, if everything is there, it may just be a template hack.

Backups are always good to have and sorry to hear about your forum problems.

I believe the latest phpBB is 2.0.19, released back in Dec 2005. I suggest you get the upgrade files from www.phpBB.com. You can also sign up for an email to be sent to you when the next update arrives.

I choose to use phpBB because I believe its better then many others out there.

JimE

Hands down PHPBB is the best I have seen out of all the ones I tinkered with. The flexibility of customization and ease of use sold me. Now if we can just pass the Death-Hack Law that puts Hackers on Computer Death Row the world would be a better place.

I didn't a chance to look at everything last night but I will when I get home today and get this monster fixed.

I wish the version of PHPBB in PHP-Nuke was up to date too so I could use it instead of the stand alone PHPBB.

Hello

Personnelly I have seen more php-nuke problems then phpBB.

You may want to have a look at http://www.mx-system.com/

This sits ontop of phpBB (no modifications to be made) and with a little graffting, can look very good indeed!

JimE

There is a conspiracy against me! LOL! So I went to check out the mxBB system. Looked really good. Was going to give it a try as you suggested and clicked on the download link and.... Their site crashed. Now I can't get to it. Figures, right? :)