What's Up With Mailman?

I used mailman on March 8th to send out a newsletter to my client's mailing list.

It didn't work so, I just sent emails manually.

Well, mailman ended up sending the newsletter yesterday! (March 20th).

Makes my client look bad because the newsletter contained info about an event which took place on the 13th.

Should I just scrap mailman and use PHPlist from fantistico when it becomes available next week? Will PHPlist be any better?

Thanks.

One thing that I like about Mailman is that I can set up one email address to forward to a list. for example

the email address XYZ@**** goes to X@****, Y@****, and Z@****.

I use this to send out birthday reminders to my family ets. I have a script that mails reminders to one email address, and this is my way of getting it out to all addresses.

It is my understanding that datamail will not work this way (anyone can mail the one address and communicate with all people subscribed). is that right?

Does any one know a good alternative. I have been less than happy with mailman, but its all I know.

• 1 month later...
Mailman is a POS and we are strongly considering dropping it from our offered services.

So to your point. Yes, I would drop it and use something else.

Bill

I too have been having Mailman troubles. I have not been getting monthly reminders and I've sent mail to a Mailman list I have and it's not going out. I found this thread because I was searching the forum before posting for help about why my mail wasn't going out.

But all I see on cpanel for a mailing list choice is Mailman. Am I missing alternatives? Is there a way to make Mailman actually mail, man?

There is an alternative, PHPlist, found in the fantastico part of cpanel.

I have only tried it very quickly but it looks nice. :sly:

I looked at PHPlist, but I need for members to be able to send to the list. (This is a list of booster club members...) With Mailman, anyone can send to "everyone@clearlakevolleyball.com", and I want to maintain this functionality. I think if I asked members to go to a web page rather than use their email programs, they'd balk. Especially if they had to remember a user name and password or the like. This is not a very sophisticated group. I usually have to manually handle subscriptions and such.

Is there a way to get help with why my Mailman list is not working? Or do I need to post that in another thread or forum?

(I submitted a ticket...)

Edited by scutchen

From Tech Support I received the following:

Hello,

I have restarted the mailman service on the server. Please check whether it has fixed your issue. If you have still any issue, please get back to us with the admin password of the mailing list so that we can check it better.

Regards,

Richard Laslo

Support Desk

TotalChoice Hosting LL

This fixed my problem.

I hope y'all won't stop supporting Mailman. We use it as a group communication tool for our school volleyball booster club. Coaches emailing teams, Officers emailing parents... lots of stuff. We're just now getting geared up for the next school season, which is why we hadn't noticed the service being down before now. Our high activity period is roughly May through November.

Go Lake! Beat Creek!n <heh.>

I too am interested in finding an alternative to Mailman. The issues that I have had seem to be on the backend (which is I assume why head guru referred to it as a POS). TCH support has been great as far as looking into it and making "adjustments", but I dont know what the issues are. I just get a response similar to scutchen's. <suggestion>perhaps a little more communication on this would be nice </suggestion>

I have spent some time looking for something other than mailman that will allow any users to email one address, then have it send it out to all. I have found two, but both were moving to Mailman.

The University of Washington switched from Listproc stating that mailman supported their volume of lists. ie they had too many different mailing lists for listproc.

The other one I found was Majordomo. I understand that it is old and not supported. I hesitate this option.

When I get some time I will look into them and see what i can find out.

• 2 months later...
Mailman is a POS and we are strongly considering dropping it

Is mailman gone (server20) or moved? I can't find it. I was going to delete an old list and I can't find the cPanel interface under "Mail Manager Main Menu" that lets me do that.

Indeed, this is all I see on server20:

Mail Manager Main Menu

Web Mail

Manage/Add/Remove Accounts

Default Address

Auto-responders

E-mail Filtering

Forwarders

SpamAssassin

Trace an E-mail Address

I opened a ticket. How odd that it should just disappear like that.

Thanks for the quick replies, guys!

Mailman, if configured correctly does not drop emails. It is a very good list manager. If you are having emails dropped it may be likely that you are exceeding TCH's email send limits.

EDIT: TCH-Bruce - I removed part of this post because we don't talk about the limits in the open forums. If you want to know the limits open a ticket with the help desk. Thanks.

• 1 month later...
Mailman is a POS and we are strongly considering dropping it from our offered services.

So to your point. Yes, I would drop it and use something else.

Bill

Hello,

Been quite some time since I've posted on the forums.

My Mailman broke too and I have since removed it from the site. After reading recent issues I loaded it again and tested and still broke. I submitted a ticket late last night and within minutes the help desk replied that they restarted mailman on the server. My test emails came through and all seems good.

My question is this and it may require a Head Guru or similar person response. Mailman is perfect for our small scout troop. Non web based and one email address to send is fantastic. It appears to be working now but before I load my people in and set it up to our liking I am curious if Mailman will be removed as previously stated? Maybe if I am lucky the "breaking" or "hiccups" have been fixed and we can keep on marching with the program.

I too have searched for another way but have drawn a blank.

Any comments or suggestions?

Thanks to ALL at TCH!!!

Wesley

Sorry, I can´t answer the question about the future for mailman, but in cpanels fantastico you have "phplist" you can look into if you are setting up a new list.

Thanks,

I looked at phplist awhile back but for some reason ditched it. I ended up with a reinstall of mailman and tested it for about a day. It broke and I had to help ticket it for a restart. Haven't seen anywhere recently the stand TCH has so I decided to I AM A SPAMMER it and give dada a try. I've got it working and it seems to handle what I need for my users. They are able to send to 1 email and it goes out to all.

Thanks for your time.

Wesley

The future for mailman at TCH?

Our stance on this right now is that we are not going to disable it, but in time we will be phasing this awful script out of our offerings. I can not say when that will be, however we will give you more than sufficient notice if that day comes.