bshirl

Unusual Abuse ?

People in my office have received 2 threatening phone calls today from an individual who claims that someone from our ip address has been hitting his website (9 times so far today) and due to his advertising this costs him $45 for each hit??? He then tells us that he'll "body slam" us and that his company has almost unlimited $$$ and legal support and that we better stop right now or we face certain legal action.

For the life of me -- I can't fathom what in the world this guy is talking about. I'm assuming this is some sort of scam -- but I just can't see the angle? Any ideas??

Thanks,

Brent

Unlimited $$ and he's worried about $45 per hit? Sounds funny to me. Are you able to trace the call? While I'm not a lawyer, this sounds like "communicating a threat" or at the least, harrasment! Might want to notify the police on this one.

Just visiting his website costs him money? How are they "hitting" the site? Abusive calls should be reported to the proper authorities if you can get the information. Also what his site is.

I would be more than happy to visit his site several more times a day in order to take the focus off of you. :P

Anything for family.

Making a threat over the telephone lines is serious. Doing it from another state is, I believe, a federal offense.

As for how it could happen? If he's talking about referrals and you are on a shared server then it could be a link from any of the other sites hosted on that server.

Unlimited money, phoned threats, $45 per hit - he's an idiot. By the way, if you want Tech Support to help with this you could submit a ticket and see what they can offer. Let's (us) not do anything besides that, though... we don't need some psycho gunning down TCH family members over webhits!

Of course, I do advocate reporting him to he authorities though, body slams are serious business... as is any threat of bodily harm. Check with your phone company. They may have ways to log the calls and then they will usually contact the authorities with the info (but won't give you the number or anything). At least Bellsouth does - it's worth checking into and at least log the calls even if you don't act on them.

Hello,

Not being in the US, its hard to say what laws he is breaking, but I believe a call to the phone company to report abusive calls, and a phone call to your local police should put you on the right track.

Of course you can always leave him on hold.

If $45 is true, he is getting rather ripped off.

JimE

Thanks for the comments folks.

This guy called again today and I was here to take the call. Apparently, we've hit his sight another 4 times and he is extremely angry. I don't believe he appreciated my laughing while he threw a string of curses my way. He became even more agitated when I suggested he might be "on crack." After his tirade (where he mentioned 'body slamming' me as well as flying out here to do me bodily harm) I suggested he contact our local district attorney and go ahead and report me. He hung up with a "you'll hear from my attorney" threat - interlaced with some fine profanity.

Anybody have any ideas of what law I might be breaking by allegedly doing a google search and clicking on an advertisement from the search results???

Brent

In my opinion...none. I'd be happy to click on his advertisements too...I access the internet from several different IP's, so he'd go crazy! :P

Interesting marketing strategy. Buy some adwords, then when people click on the ads, call and threaten them.

Out of curiousity, what sort of business is this guy in?

Is your website on a dedicated IP with TCH??

*TCH-Dick makes evil grin.

If he wants some traffic, I have 200+ servers at my beck and call.

Anybody have any ideas of what law I might be breaking by allegedly doing a google search and clicking on an advertisement from the search results???

None. Care to PM me the domain name? You have piqued my curiosity and I would like to do a little research.

This is all too strange and I see two choices. Hang up on the dude and ignore him, he's pulling your chain. Or you can yank his back. Agree with him, say your sorry and offer to reimburse him for the expenses. Offer to send him a check and get his company name and address. Once you have those turn them in. Of course they will be false but you are just fooling around anyway and have no intention of paying.

You are breaking no law, browsing the intenet is free and you cannot stop anyone from going to an open site. If he doesn't want folks visiting his page he should secure it. And $45 a visit...geesh, what a crock.

Also, how did he get a phone number from an IP, you can possible get some number from a whois but proving thats the computer that visited a web site is not going to fly in court.

All other things being legit, you would not be breaking any laws unless he could prove that you were just hitting his site to cost him money... and that would take a bunch of hits, a great lawyer, a stupid judge and a bunch of luck.

It's advertisement. He agreed to pay for clicks. His stupidity.

I do not want the domain posted in the forums. If Brent wishes to share the domain with one of us working for TCH so we can look into the issue then it will be up to him to do so.

I do not want the domain posted in the forums. If Brent wishes to share the domain with one of us working for TCH so we can look into the issue then it will be up to him to do so.

Right, I didn't mention that but I was also thinking along the lines of this shouldn't be posted in the forums, but shared privately (if at all). Still very interested in how this progresses, be sure to let us know Brent what becomes of this.

If Brent wishes to share the domain with one of us working for TCH so we can look into the issue then it will be up to him to do so.

As far as I can tell this is not a TCH problem and I don't think Brent wanted TCH as a company to get involved. This was posted in Open Discussion and I believe he wanted input from other users, since he was unsure on what was going on. He's received mostly good answers so far and should choose one (or more) and see where that leads him.

As far as I can tell this is not a TCH problem and I don't think Brent wanted TCH as a company to get involved.

It isn't a TCH problem, however that does not mean that we can't look at it and see what other options if any there are for him to utilize if he wishes to do so. I am not stating that we would get involved in any way other than to possibly expand his knowledge of what course of action that he can take. I did not mean to imply that TCH would take any kind of action to resolve the matter for Brent other than the fact that we are a family here and I believe that we as family members should do all we can to assist each other. And, yes, I am curious as to the name of the company myself and would like a further look too.

I do appreciate all the input from everyone. Of course - no; this deal has absolutely nothing to do with TCH.

As best I can tell (please excuse my techno-idiocy) - this guy is looking at some report showing who hits his sight (perhaps his $80/hit bill :-), our ISP assigned static ip leads this guy to look up who we are and he sees that both of our company names/websites have the word "legal" in them (we're a litigation support company). This guy's company/website also deals with the legal community but in a completely different way (It's a legal referral service as best I can tell) -- anyway he mistakenly believes we might be a competitor of his and are somehow trying to mess with him?

After exhaustive research, it has come to my attention that somebody here actually did click on his site after doing a google search and actually received a referral from it and had contacted a local attorney about a personal legal issue. Due to this wacky situation - I believe they have now decided not to hire this attorney they were referred to (at least I hope they won't).

I was just looking for input from this great collection of tech-savvy individuals as to what possible liability/exposure I might be facing. This guy kept throwing around terms like "click fraud" and while it sounds like complete lunacy to me - I just was wanting a little reassurance that I'm not completely insane.

I assume that this local attorney has since informed his "partner" about the situation and I don't expect to hear from him again. But given the new revelations - I'm even more upset with this guys' bullying phone calls.

Anyway, thanks again for all the comments - I'll let you know if the saga continues.

Trying to calm down,

Brent

What's the definition of "click fraud" anyway???

I did not mean to imply that TCH would take any kind of action to resolve the matter for Brent other than the fact that we are a family here and I believe that we as family members should do all we can to assist each other.
I understand and agree Rob, I also want to help other family members. But sometimes its hard to determine which hat you are wearing, TCH-Rob or nice-guy Rob :) and we don't want to see this guy trying to Body slam you (even though I know you can handle it) and then going after Bill for his hard earned cash.

What's the definition of "click fraud" anyway???

Click fraud is perpetrated in both automated and human ways. The most common method is the use of online robots, or "bots," programmed to click on advertisers' links that are displayed on Web sites or listed in search queries. A growing alternative employs low-cost workers who are hired in China, India and other countries to click on text links and other ads. A third form of fraud takes place when employees of companies click on rivals' ads to deplete their marketing budgets and skew search results.

ht_p://news.com.com/Exposing+click+fraud/2100-1024_3-5273078.html

we don't want to see this guy trying to Body slam you (Rob)
It might be fun watching him TRY. :)

I personally would be quite put out if my husband did not make a formal report over something like this. It may not mean anything now, but if this person is as unstable as his actions lead me to believe he is, then who knows what he may do? At least you'd have a record of the chain of events. If nothing else document them and get witnesses at the office. Tape a call or something?

I personally would be quite put out if my husband did not make a formal report over something like this. It may not mean anything now, but if this person is as unstable as his actions lead me to believe he is, then who knows what he may do? At least you'd have a record of the chain of events. If nothing else document them and get witnesses at the office. Tape a call or something?

IIRC taping a call is illegal unless all parties involved on the call are aware they are being recorded. Although, IANAL, so anyone else know if what I say is true?

Last I knew, it varied from state to state. For instance, the state I was in only required ONE party to know about the recording. Guess it was to stop the illegal cop taps and the jealous husband types.

Luckily, this guy was smart enough to leave a voicemail message (body slam threat included) that I've saved.

Doubting I'll hear from him again,

Brent

Is the guy's name "Kirby"?

Actually, it was Brian one time & Terry another - called id said something completely different.

Brent

Actually, it was Brian one time & Terry another - called id said something completely different.

Brent

Sorry, wrong idiot. I thought it might have been this guy running legal referal service out of London Ontario. He is notorious for hurling abuse at people.