Anyone Want To Dance?

SEO

I got notified by other means... google-dance.com

Quick clarification, dance adjusts the position of sites based on last deepcrawl, right? So if freshbot is all I've gotten thus far (although lots of pages) then I'd assume that this dance means nothing to me... right?

Thanks

I think things are changing.... as I have written in other threads, I believe Google's goal is to eliminate a 'true' deep crawl. I believe the technology is there now to have fresh crawl take over deep crawl's responsibilities. This is based on inference from the fact that most of the algorithm research that has come out lately strictly deals with 'efficiency'. Thus if they can create a substantially more efficient fresh crawl, they can crawl deeper without excess use of resources. This would eliminate the need for a second (deep) crawl.

Jack, your results after this dance may confirm this. The one 'unknown' it that fact that the last index was so bad that this might be the first chance they could come in (with full filters) and re-index. If this is true, we may be one step closer to... well closer to the starting line. Again (Jack), your results will give us a clue.

In addition, I believe we are migrating to a seamless PR update... meaning PR alterations on the fly.

In essence, we may see (in the near future) a 'continuous' dance. It will be so subtle that know one will ever really know that we are dancing. Sort of like a real, real slow dance... you know, where the feet are barely moving.

(e.g. Kay Porter and I in 1975 [or was it 74'] to 'Color my World' by Chicago in our Junior High gym.)

F A C E C A F A C E C A E A C E C A E A C E C A .... (About the only song I can play on the piano)

(THE OPENING NOTES TO COLOR MY WORLD (BY CHICAGO)

As time goes on I realize

Just what you mean to me

And now, now that you're near

Promise your love

That I've waited to share

And dreams of our moments together

Color my world with hope of loving you

No sense in discussing PR or rank... we are in the middle of the dance. The reason it is called a 'dance' is because both fluctuate (both up and down) during the process.

Bottom line, do not get excited or disappointed. Will keep you posted.

Everyone put your shoes away!

Now you can react to the dance... it is over. Look at PR and see how many pages were included in the index. In the Google search window type:

site: www.yourURL.com -querty

This will show you the number of pages included in the Google index.

Hope all had a good time and no one got their toes hurt. :)

well my page rank is 4/10 now...big improvement from 0/10

I dont quite understand the

site: www.yourURL.com -querty thing, i tried it and just got a search back of a few pages that had my site listed on them somewhere. is that what I'm supposed to get?

site: www.yourURL.com -querty thing, i tried it and just got a search back of a few pages that had my site listed on them somewhere. is that what I'm supposed to get?

When I enter:

site:www.x-trememodz.com -querty

I see that there are 29 pages indexed (i.e. x-trememodz.com has 29 pages in Google's index).

Make sense?

Previous posts may be adding to some confusion, a little clarification is in order. People are refering to rank and meaning PageRank... the two are very different entities. Obviously rank would be one's actual rank within a particular search engine for a specific search phrase (e.g. I am ranked 3 in Google using the search phrase 'wachamajiggy').

PageRank is Google's means of giving all pages within its index a relative rank of page importance. It is based on several factors.

I would suggest you start by reading this (and be sure to follow all the links).

In addition, keep in mind that PageRank and Rank (more technically referred to as Search Engine Rank Position or SERP) do not necessarily go hand in hand (e.g. a page with PR4 can outrank a page with PR5).

What does this mean?

It means that SERP is not solely determined by PageRank (again, we are speaking specifically of Google).

This is odd, I did the site:www.greatfolios.com -querty and it seems that the spider got stuck in my chat room, (it indexed about 250 pages but most were in the chat files....) do I need to put a spider noindex comment on the link to the chat room? I also noticed that even though I have been working on the backwards links (30-40 good relavent links) google only found 3.... Head Bash

Clicking backlinks only shows what Google calls 'relevant' sites. Relevancy is defined by PR... more the PR3. If you go to Google's Advance search enter +www.greatfolios.+com in 'Find results with all of the words' you will see that actually there are 232 backlinks... it is just a lot are PR3 or lower.

... do I need to put a spider noindex comment on the link to the chat room?

Create a robots.txt file:

>User_Agent: *
Disallow: /chat/

This is assuming you do not want anything in the directory chat to be indexed.

Dsdemmin, given the potential changes we're considering for the forum, maybe you'd be willing to decipher my results:

PR still is zero out of 10

4,160 pages indexed

AwStats says Google visited 51.82 MB worth of my pages (4,700+ pgs) this past month

My assumption is that things are moving in the right direction for my site and perhaps I'll be included in the next dance.

Are there any red flags that would indicate that Google is rejecting my pages or anything along those lines that would require drastic, immediate attention?

Thanks so much.

I am just summarizing what I am 'seeing' (in the order that I am looking).

1. PageRank = 3

2. Backward Links (relevant) = 12

3. Backward Links (total) = ~11,800 (Wow!)

4. Total pages indexed = 11,500

5. I did not notice any red flags (not that I looked at all potentials).

Bottom line, this site is not optimized.

Jack I would like to give you more but I have to be careful with my time (and this site does not meet TCH's criteria, see below comment).

Bill and I (and my wife and I) have talked at length about me 'giving' a lot of pertinent SEO information away free. The writings I have offered here are actually quite valuable. I am not trying to toot my own horn here, I am just trying to explain the awkward position of determining "What is too much?" Some have suggested that I passed that quite awhile ago :D

In addition, Bill and I decided that any 'free' SEO evaluation should only be done on TCH sites and whose sites clearly reference Total Choice Hosting with a potentially beneficial backlink (not an unreasonable request at all).

One option we have considered in this regard is a paid consulting service that would be structured around a password protected SEO forum. Still not sure about this one, to be honest I am concerned with my time. Others have approached me in this regard (e.g. wanting specific SEO guidance rather then hiring for the service) and it would seem that this would be the logical route to take. The problem is that the time involved in 'telling' someone how to optimize a site versus optimizing that site is not much different. Therefore, compensation for my time would be highly reduced (i.e. not a 'real' motivator).

Any feedback (by anyone) in this regard would be appreciated.

Hey. I totally agree.

I can empathize when I have webdesign clients throwing money at me to do webdesign and programming and I get approached with 'Please look through my script and fix it.'

I'd love to help. My dream would be to have enough money so that I could just be a full time script writer at TCH for nothing more than good Karma.

But I'm not rich yet, and rewriting someone else's code takes hours of time, hours that I could be using to finish projects my clients have paid me for.

As you are, I'm happy to help with suggestions, tips, even tutorials. And when the request is easy to do, I'm more than happy to share what I know.

Although I would love to pick your brain for free... and have partially succeeded (although there are plently of 'secrets' I know you've held back and hours you haven't invested in giving me free advice... rightfully so) the line of my questioning feeds back into the project we're doing with the Invision Board.

You and I have discussed at length the different strategies for removing ?&= from urls so Google will eat them up like a hungry shark on roids. Since my site implements some of these, I was wondering if you and I (and onlookers) could learn and adapt from real life examples.

Naturally, your advice directly benefits me and my marketing efforts.

In closing...

I for one understand the need to keep pro bono hours in check while still contribute to the TCH community. And yes, you have done more than your share to contribute.

I appreciate your thoughtful insights.

I certainly don't expect you to go over the site with a fine tooth comb like you would for someone who paid you to do the same.

By the way (and I'm not asking you to confirm this) but my research into other sites would lead me to believe that my site ranking might improve in the next month.

When I go to other sites and check backlinks, I see both external and internal pages. Now, Google may very likely weight external links more heavily. They might not even weight internal backlinks at all.

But I do know that other sites that have been around longer show backlinks from their other pages. Currently, mine shows only a handful out of the 11,000 pages they've indexed.

I'm going to tweak things a bit and see what happens in the next month. We still don't know for sure (or do we?) if the same process of freshbot->deepbot->dance->results is still the game or if they've gone to a new method.

Anyhow, I've waited this long, and I'm getting hits a plenty, waiting 30 days won't kill me.

Thanks again for your help.

You and I have discussed at length the different strategies for removing ?&= from urls so Google will eat them up like a hungry shark on roids. Since my site implements some of these, I was wondering if you and I (and onlookers) could learn and adapt from real life examples.
mod_rewriteing for session id's only purpose is to have Google index the pages.... Thus, the answer is very clear when we look at your site :D

Now, Google may very likely weight external links more heavily. They might not even weight internal backlinks at all.

No distinction, if an internal page has a PR of 5 and an external page has a PR of 5 and both have only one outbound link pointing to page A. They would have the exact same contribution to page A's PageRank.

Currently, mine shows only a handful out of the 11,000 pages they've indexed.
Google actually shows 11,500 of your pages indexed. It is just a majority of these pages have low or no PR.

By the way (and I'm not asking you to confirm this) but my research into other sites would lead me to believe that my site ranking might improve in the next month.
I would tend to agree.