Transferring Everything

Guest Fiona

I currently have webspace somewhere else with a domain name, I then have an addon domain that runs off the same space. Would it be possible to transfer everything over to you - both domain names, and y entire site..including 2 phpnuke sites and an oscommerce site? I used fantastico to install those and wouldn't know where to start otherwise. My total space is 330Mb.

Hello Fiona,

If your current host uses cpanel (which I think since you mention Fantastico), it is very possible that the techs can do a cpanel to cpanel transfer.

However, if I understand you correct, all these sites you mention are using their own separate domain names (domaina.com, domainb.com...), it would require a reseller account. You are only permitted one domain per virtual account (or several ones parked on each other pointing to same root).

Addon domains = only allowed on a reseller account.

• 4 weeks later...
Thanks for your help.

To clarify, I only have one domain name, but I am using subdomains for the other sites, is that possible with TCH?

Thanks

Thats me by the way :)

But remember you cannot point another domain name to a subdomain, file or folder

unless you have a reseller account.

Ok, here's a dumb question......why would you want to point a domain name to a subdomain name?

I assume you mean redirecting users from mysite.com to subdomain.mysite.com??

Sorry, just trying to understand this more clearly.

Thanks!

N~

So could I buy an additional domain name on its own and have it redirected to a folder under my main domain? Because theoretically I could buy a domain somewhere else and do that, but that seems silly..

• 5 months later...

I'm not clear on a bunch of stuff.

1. You say you don't offer fantastico - is this old information? Do you now offer fantastico, and does it matter if my sites are already built (previously on fantastico, using cPanel)?

2. Subdomains. I was in the process of purchasing hosting, but the process asked for a domain name, and had nowhere to list the subdomain. Is that handled separately?

Sorry to be dredging up an old thread, but I tried to search for my answer first before posting, and this seemed pertinent...

QT

Welcome to the forum. :whip:

1. Fantastico is available on all accounts since a few months. If you want, after purchasing the hosting, you can ask the techs to do a cpanel to cpanel transfer of your site.

2. You will need to register your own domain before you purchase the hosting. This can be done here.

Thank you! I actually have been here a whole month - posted in this forum before. :whip:

I already have my domain name. I was asking specifically about the subdomain. To clarify -

My website is windonwater.net. My forum is realm.windonwater.net. I want to transfer BOTH off of my current host - but the sign up form only has space for the domain name, and doesn't provide space to add a subdomain. :(

As to fantastico - thanks. I thought I'd seen that here. However - I've learned that some people don't like fantastico for phpWebSite (platform of my web site) - they say fantastico drops the features. If we transfer my sites, do I have to use fantastico - or does it matter at all? (I bet you can tell from my questions that my technical knowledge is next to zero...)

QT

If I understand you correct, I would assume your current subdomain is example.windonwater.net. When you transfer your site to TCH the subdomain is transferred too.

Or does the subdomain have a different name, like example.net?

As for fantastico, no you would not need to use it. It is just available if you wanna use it. All accounts comes with cpanel and fantastico just happens to be available in it.

You´re welcome. :whip:

So subdomains transfer automatically, so long as they are named after the original domain (I didn't even know they had the option to be named anything else!!!)

I think you are thinking about addon domains which is a different thing (and what confused me for a second). With a addon domain, your main site could be named windonwater.net and your forum could be called windonwaterforum.net and windonwaterforum.net could point to the forum only. However this would be against the AUP.

OK. I've got a subdomain - not an addon. However - still don't quite see the difference. My subdomain doesn't go to my main website - it goes straight to the forum. This addon issue isn't an issue for me - I just want to understand better what the real difference is, and why there are policy distinctions.

As I mentioned - I've only got the one subdomain so far - it is realm.windonwater.net. What difference would it have made from a technical standpoint if I had instead had windonwaterrealm.net?

QT

You create subdomains in cPanel. A subdomain is nothing but a folder on your site in the public_html folder. You may need to after your site is transferred to TCH is rename your folder containing your forum, create a suddomain with the name you want to us (folder name) and then delete the folder and rename the folder containing your forum to the one you used to create the subdomain.

Every folder in your current account will be transferred.

What Bruce means is that when the transfer is done this subdomain which really is just a folder in your account may not work.

If it doesn´t you will need to rename this folder from lets say "forum" to "forum_old".

Then in the subdomain section in cpanel, create a new subdomain "forum" which will automatically create the folder "forum".

Then copy everything from folder "forum_old" to "forum".

• 2 weeks later...

Erm - related question:

I now have ZERO subdomains, according to cPanel. :) If I just go ahead and create the subdomain, and re-rename the folder back to what it was - will that work?

Here's a screen that I totally didn't understand:

Sub Domain Maintenance

Current Sub-Domains

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

. _____________.windonwater.net windonwater.net

Note: If you wish to grant virtual ftp access to this subdomain, just create an FTP user with the same username as the subdomain base name that is listed inside the () above.

Note: Subdomains rely on the DNS system in order to function, which means that your DNS information must propagate throughout the different DNS servers on the Internet before your subdomain becomes fully active. This process on the average takes a few hours.

QT

Edited by QueenTiye

Hi QT,

First of all the copy question...

Download all of the folder to your own computer (keeping the file structure), then just upload it to the correct folder.

Subdomain question...

When you create the subdomain, the folder will be created automatically. So best thing would be to rename the current folder to folder_old, create the subdomain which creates the new folder and then copy all over to the new folder.

Subdomain question...

When you create the subdomain, the folder will be created automatically. So best thing would be to rename the current folder to folder_old, create the subdomain which creates the new folder and then copy all over to the new folder.

You can do it that way or:

1. Rename the current folder

2. Create the subdomain (which creates the folder)

3. Delete the newly created folder (not the subdomain just the folder)

4. Rename existing folder back to the subdomain name

No need to copy.