I noticed in a couple places on the boards that mention limits to how many emails are sent from the TCH servers- but I wasn't sure how it might apply to me.

I started using the MailMan mailing list feature via one of my TCH accounts, and have added over 250 people to the mailing list. I set up the moderation features so only 2 people could send emails to the entire list, and that's all working fine.

But these limits that have been mentioned- does this mean the server won't send to all the addresses on the list? Does it send them out incrementally? Or am I referring to something that doesn't apply to my situation? Any details you all could give would be great! Thanks~

ok~ i submitted the ticket, and found out the numbers. i have browsed the boards, and it seems like there are some potential solutions...(as i am not alone). i will draw out my situation for you all; maybe someone could give me the best answer--

please don't post that info here

this is not a problem for me, i'm not spamming anyone so i don't really care how slowly the mail goes out. the website i'm managing is for a band, with a mailing list that is slowly growing. they send out mail once or twice a month, if that- sometimes much less.

i set up everything so the band members need only know that to send out a list email, they just email it to the list address and it goes... ( i set it up so only their messages don't get moderated/discarded)...

and since it's that easy, and they get to use the domain email to do it (since they are paying for it), i wouldn't really want to leave tch as the mail solution. i also dread the idea of using something else outside of tch--

i kept seeing this dada mail thing- is that my answer? are there other potential solutions? i saw a lot of scripting stuff in some of the other limits threads and thats a little scary-- please help!

Edit: TCH-Bruce - as well as the limit numbers we don't discuss the methods in place

Edited by TCH-Bruce
  • 6 months later...

Dada Mail sets up easily, appears to work great...and hardly works at all.

I've been working with it for a couple of days, and all mail directed to Yahoo addresses immediately winds up in Bulk.

The developer's response to anyone who raises the issue is: "It's your fault, it's Yahoo's fault, it's not my fault. If you want more help, pay me."

What I'm finding is I'm going to have to go back to the miserable task of assembling small batches of addresses in Mozilla Thunderbird to reach the 130 people on my mailing list, and dealing with the limitations imposed by my ISP.

Is there any other option?

I use DadaMail for a list and have several addresses that use Yahoo addresses. They have not reported problems with messages ending up in Bulk Mail folders. I would suggest that you contact them and ask them to add the domain to any whitelist that Yahoo may use. They should be able to do this by clicking on the message in the Bulk Mail folder and then clicking on the Not Spam button at the top.

Most of the popular email accounts such as Hotmail, Yahoo, etc. are becoming more aggressive with their anti-spam measures so it does take some training to prevent false positives.

By the way, the reason we do not discuss security measures, limits, measures taken to test and review is so the bad guys are not provided with a check list. No reason to give them help to use TCH resources :unsure:

I use DadaMail for a list and have several addresses that use Yahoo addresses. They have not reported problems with messages ending up in Bulk Mail folders. I would suggest that you contact them and ask them to add the domain to any whitelist that Yahoo may use. They should be able to do this by clicking on the message in the Bulk Mail folder and then clicking on the Not Spam button at the top.

Most of the popular email accounts such as Hotmail, Yahoo, etc. are becoming more aggressive with their anti-spam measures so it does take some training to prevent false positives.

Yes, but the thing is, send the same message to the same Yahoo addresses from Outlook or Thunderbird, and all or most get the mail. Send the message from Dada Mail, and they all get bulked.

That's the particular problem with Dada, from my experience.

You end up having to e-mail Yahoo addresses separately, just in order to invite them to receive a mailing list invitation. I'm almost inclined to believe that mailing lists just don't work.

Edited by slobjones

Try making a mailing list for your Yahoo addresses separately from the other addresses, this time cut down the number of people in the batch.

Consider that Yahoo and others may check the number of addresses on the email and route based on the large number of addressees. Send in smaller batches to work around their filters. Like TCH, they will not publish the limits they use.

yeah, i ended up using dada mail, and i didn't really see any problems with the bulk mailings to specific providers- on the other hand, maybe it's the way i'm set up, but i'll tell you this much- i don't know if it's dada or tch, but my mailings don't always work. seems like batches just don't go, randomly, without reason. i get reporting on the batches, and i can't account for it. given the response i've seen about mailing lists here, i essentially shrugged and gave up- if it sends, it sends-- if not, well at least they can go to the website for news.

Try making a mailing list for your Yahoo addresses separately from the other addresses, this time cut down the number of people in the batch.

Consider that Yahoo and others may check the number of addresses on the email and route based on the large number of addressees. Send in smaller batches to work around their filters. Like TCH, they will not publish the limits they use.

Thanks, Samrc. However, Yahoo seems to consider batches of one sent by Dada Mail as bulk. Can't get much smaller than that.

That leaves me to believe it's something in Dada that Yahoo does not like. I took the long route of sending to Yahoo addresses from Thunderbird and from Dada for the rest of them.