Using My Tch Domain For Sending Email

martynw

I have set up sending e-mail via my TCH host (rather than the Cox SMTP - my ISP).

It works fine, except that when my PC (using Thunderbird) tries to connect, I get a message: "the security certificate presented belongs to "server90.tch.....". When I click OK it sends the e-mail anyway.

I am a bit confused by this, as I don't think that my e-mail client is encrypted or using SSL.

Could someone explain what I need to do so that I don't get the "the security certificate.." message?

Martyn

Edit TCH-Bruce: removed reseller domain name

The only time I've seen the security cert notice appear is if I am sending secure email and once you accept the cert it goes away.

If you are using port 25 or 26 for sending mail you are not using SSL however if you are using port 465 you are.

So, if we don't want to send our account info in the clear we should use port 465 for the SMTP (outgoing) server connection and check the SSL checkbox in the settings?

That is correct. You may receive a warning about the certificate but once you accept it you should not see it again until it's renewed on the server.

Yep, it works! I had just switched to 26 as had the user above. I got the message but thought it was then using SSL. I should have remembered that chart I read a few years back that explained the standard usage for certain port numbers.

Do you have any pull to get that put on the cPanel --> Manage Accounts --> Configure Mail Client --> Manual Settings section? (A rhetorical question not requiring an answer!)

Thank you!

That seemed to do the trick, thanks Bruce, the message has gone away.

In Thunderbird there are 4 options:

none,

TLS(if avaialble),

TLS,

and SSL

I had inadvertantly (or it defaulted) ticked the TLS (if available option). I changed it to "none" - and it works fine.

Out of curiosity, what is TLS?

Thank you.