i just want to say that i am extremely disappointed in this company. my girlfriend tried to log in to her account yesterday to find her website *gone*. yes, completely gone. her online diary/blog that she has been working on for 2 years. thousands and thousands of photos. email. yes, everything had disappeared. when she opened a ticket with TCH to ask about it, she just got a terse one sentence response saying that since her credit card charges were returned, her account was immediately deleted. she had received no warnings, no email, no phone call... just the drastic measure of deleting her account.

how could this happen? i did an online chat with a support person today, and finally got to the root of the problem. 5 or 6 months ago, my girlfriend got a charge on her credit card statement. the charge was from "2checkout", a company she had never heard of. when she went to their website, it appeared to be some random shopping site... one that she had never seen before and definitely never bought from before. so, she did what any normal person would do, she disputed the charge with her credit card company. it wasn't until just today that i found out that the "2checkout" charge was actually from totalchoice. how was my girlfriend supposed to know that?! so now, she is being penalized for doing what any normal person does: reviewing her credit card bill and disputing unknown charges. everything she did online for the last 2 years (and she made entries in her blog almost every single day) is all completely deleted and TCH says they cant do anything about it.

she (and i) is extremely upset about this. how can they do this to her without any warning? deleting someone's blog and gallery is like breaking into their home and shredding their photo albums and burning their diary. unbelievable.

Your girlfriend contacted her credit card company and iniated a chargeback stating the charges from us were "fraudulent and unauthorized".

The charges on her credit card statement clearly showed "2Checkout - TOTALCHOICE HOSTING WEB".

You state she never heard of 2checkout, however she approved the charges in the past but this time she did not. So she must have been aware of the charges the first time around.

We simply are not in business to provide free hosting to clients that simply refuse to call a phone number on their credit card statement to verify billing.

It would have taken one phone call to the 800 number on her credit card statement to clarify what the charge was for.

The chargeback cost us $100 in fee's and $44.00 for her lost hosting income.

Good luck with your new host.

Um, I hate to be the one to say this, but from my perspective, I'd say that it is kind of her fault.

First, did she think her hosting was free? If she wasn't paying for it, then why would she assume that TCH would keep providing it? So she didn't recognize the "2checkout" charge. She should know that she signed up for web hosting, costing X dollars. An exact charge for that amount is a pretty good indicator that it was charged to that company.

Most companies have a 1-800 number on the credit card statement that you can call to check on a charge. Did she call the number (if there was one?)

Second: you compare TCH's actions to "breaking into [your] home and shredding [your] photo albums and buring [your] diary." That is an unfair comparison.

Maybe you should look at it this way: you were hosting your blog and photo album without paying for it. When TCH tried to charge you for it, you disputed the charge. I think a valid comparison would be that you signed up for a neighborhood self-storage place, but then for months and months and months never paid the bill. You kept storing your stuff in the storage unit without paying a dime for it. When the self-storage company billed you, you disputed the charge. So the self-storage company removed your belongings so they could rent the space to somebody who was actually willing to pay their bill. That happens all the time.

If you aren't going to pay your bill, you can't expect TCH to maintain storage space.

Third: You've heard it TIME AND TIME again on the forums: you are responsible for your own backups.

Even if TCH hadn't deleted your account for non-payment, if there was trouble with the server, YOU (and only you) are responsible to keep a backup with which you can restore your account. You are ultimately responsible for your own data.

Don't try to push off that responsibility to the TCH tecs and say that they "burned your photos and diary." It was your job to have "fire insurance", not theirs.

I'm sorry you lost your data. Maybe next time you'll pay your bill, and make a backup of your data. Both of those were your own responsibility. Nobody else's.

recently i posted a new topic in this forum. the topic was titled "my girlfriend lost everything". Shockingly, just a few minutes later, TCH modified the title of my post to "content deleted". two people, one of them a TCH "guru" replied to my comment. i then replied to them refuting their arguments, and showing my point of view.

a few hours later, i was surprised to find that not only did TCH close my topic and not allow anyone else to post to it, but they also deleted my two responses! they only left the three responses of other people who had disagreed with me. i am not sure why TCH would do this? what is the point of this forum if people aren't allowed to express their thoughts about TCH and it's actions?? ooohhhh, wait! i get it. people can only express positive feedback that makes TCH look good. woops! i should have know better than to really speak my mind.

It's unfortunate that your girlfriend had isses with her service. While I can't comment to the deletion of posts, I can say this: I read the post earlier, and was in complete agreement with the points others made. When I signed up at TCH I was given a notice that my bill would include "2checkout" and not to worry as that is the 3rd party payment processor TCH uses. As the servers are owned by TCH, they have the right to do with them what they please. If they haven't been paid for a while, then they can delete the user account. That's pretty straight-forward. How long do you think you would have cable TV if you didn't pay them? That's my $0.02.

It's unfortunate that your girlfriend had isses with her service. While I can't comment to the deletion of posts, I can say this: I read the post earlier, and was in complete agreement with the points others made. When I signed up at TCH I was given a notice that my bill would include "2checkout" and not to worry as that is the 3rd party payment processor TCH uses. As the servers are owned by TCH, they have the right to do with them what they please. If they haven't been paid for a while, then they can delete the user account. That's pretty straight-forward. How long do you think you would have cable TV if you didn't pay them? That's my $0.02.

here's the thing, if cable was planning on shutting down their service, they would probably contact you first. in fact, i would bet yoou would get *several* letters warning you in advance. they wouldnt just shut everything off with no warning. plus, tere's a big difference between getting cable shut off and having your site deleted. if your cable is shut off, no big deal, you just go and have it turned back on. if TCH deletes 2 years worth of priceless diary entries and photos, then what can you do?

Your GF's account was terminated because she reversed the charges claiming fraudulence on her credit card for services already being rendered. It's really as simple as that.

Reversing charges on a credit card are considerably different than being late on your bill.

We do allow constructive, negative feedback. What we do remove is unproductive public arguments, that of of no benefit to anyone.

In terms of the topic title, we do occasionally change these to be more useful to people searching the forum. If someone else finds themsleves in a similar situation are they more likely to search for "my girlfriend lost everything" or "content deleted"? In my view it is the latter, hence the topic titile was changed.

I do understand that you are angry and upset by this at the moment, but to ensure this also does not turn into an unproductive public argument, I would ask you not to continue to post the same arguments that you have already made.

Let this thread stand as a reminder to everybody everywhere:

You are responsible for backing up your own content. You should do this on a regular basis. You should download or other wise back up your entire site on a regular basis. Your data is your own responsibility.

For my content, I consider monthly to be "a regular basis." If I were to lose a months' worth of content, sure I'd be sad. But I'm willing to live with that risk. So every month I create my own backup and I download it. I'd recommend that you do the same.

TCH is not responsible for backing up your data. You are!

This has nothing to do with backups.

This has everything to do with trust and respect.

I trust my clients to pay me for a service I render to them. When they dont pay me or fall behind in payments we ALWAYS work things out. Heck , I have one client right now that is 4 months a arrears on a dedicated server. He makes a weekly payment to me every week on the rear and is keeping current on the new billing.

However, when a client commits a fraudulent act and conducts a chargeback, this is where I draw the line.

Chargebacks effect my standing with our Credit Card Processor and they cost money. In this instance it cost $100 in fees and lost revenues of $44.00 for the hosting.

What I find so amusing is in all the pleas and excuses, I do not find one offer to make things right. No offers to pay for the damages you caused, nothing.

Another thing, these are company owned forums, they are NOT a public venue. If I do not like anything posted on these forums, I have the absolute right to remove or modify the content as I see fit.

Good luck with your new hosting firm.

Thread closed (AGAIN)

A few minutes ago, this thread was closed, and i thought my girlfriend's site was done for. as a last resort, i private messaged Bill and asked if there was any way to resolve all of this. i mentioned that the chargeback was an innocent mistake, that i really wanted to make everytihng right, and was willing to pay the $100 chargeback fee and any other fees.

not more than 2 minutes later, there was a response from bill. we talked and he said that they *never* reverse chargebacks, but that he'd make an exception in my case since he could tell it was just an honest mistake. i couldnt believe it! i had been sure that my girlfriend would never be able to see her site again. not only that, but when i offered to pay the $100 bucks, he said that TCH would eat the cost. wow.

so basically, i am extremekly grateful to TCH for restoring the account and being so understanding! all of my past interactions with TCH have been very positive and this was a great example of how far their employess would go to help out a member.

Thanks Bill!

Hi Click,

When you have a forum with nearly 200,000 postings and 7K members, things can get a bit dicey at times.

Yes things do get moved and deleted from time to time, but only for good reason.

I am glad your enjoying your stay here.

Bill

Let this thread stand as a reminder to everybody everywhere:

You are responsible for backing up your own content. You should do this on a regular basis. You should download or other wise back up your entire site on a regular basis. Your data is your own responsibility.

Amen to that :D