questionmark

Frontpage Excess Code Stripper

Hello

I've heard that Frontpage adds a lot of unnecessary code into pages created with it. Is there such a thing as a excess code stripper that would allow a site created in Frontpage to be able to be dealt with the same as a site created all in html code by hand? Also, php scripts don't work with Frontpage created sites, correct? That's one reason I asked this question, to see if there was a way to make them work together easily. I guess it would be better to just start with a different html editor in the first place?

Thanks

There is a program called HTMLTidy that may help. Don't know how much of the FP stuff it will take out for you but could help.

I don't see why you can't run PHP scripts with anything created with FP. You will probably have to use the source view to get the code entered correctly but that's about it.

PHP is server side scripting... so it does work on a FrontPage site as long as your page has the extensions .php at the end. There is generally no problem. Some FrontPage components (also called web bots) don't work well on a FrontPage/PHP page, so just replace these with PHP code, such as FrontPage include pages, replace these with PHP include pages.

FrontPage uses additional code with FrontPage components, and also adds other added tags in various ways in the html. Generally speaking, unless your pages are huge, this doesn't affect load time. It can be messy though, especially of you are a purest in your approach to HTML coding.

In FrontPage 2003 - You can optimize the publishing of your FrontPage pages by setting the publishing property to remove white space ... I wouldn't set it to remove any other kind of code especially if you are using PHP as some PHP code might be seen by FrontPage as not necessary or at least not recognized as code by FrontPage.

If you know HTML... code directly with HTML. If you don't, FrontPage is a good tool to use to start learning, and as you learn go more directly to code than FrontPage.

Great answer Jim! That's why I have always said that FP is a great tool for those starting out in the web dev business. Almost everyone I've talked to about FP has said that they have used it to get started and then migrated to using something that gives a little more control...kinda like Dreamweaver or Homesite. Of course there's always good ol' Notepad (or Vi for those Unix-types!).

Hello

Ok, could you then edit a site with FrontPage that created with straight html code or some other editor? So, since php scripts are server side things(includes maybe?) they are not affected by FrontPage? As long as the .php extension is added on the end of the proper pages? Could you tell me what qualifies something as a FrontPage "include" page or a php "include" page? The extension on the end? Or the code included in the page?

So, my only concern would be to change FrontPage includes with php includes and I should be fine?

Has anyone had any experience with First Page 2000? Would it be "cleaner" as far as the coding goes? Would there be any less concern for a beginner with the php/Frontpage compatabilty (which, apparently isn't really a concern to experienced coders such as yourselves).

Again, thanks again for responding

You could edit a site using FP that was created by any other editor. The problem is when you save it. FP adds a bunch of extra code. If you want to see it, you can click on the HTML tab. To compare, go to another website to and view the code. You won't see all of the "Microsoft" or "MS" stuff in it.

An "include" page is the code that is "included" in the page. Generally speaking, it's a php page that is invoked using a small script...such as <?php include("includes/some_page.php");?>. This would call the file "some_page.php" and place it into your web page at that particular spot.

The only concern I could see is how well FP "plays" with php files. I don't really know. When I used FP, I was using it to learn HTML. I then got an actual HTML editor when I started learning PHP. Maybe someone with more FP experience can answer that particular question.

FP 2003 is generally compatible with PHP code as long as you are not setting FP to optimize the page beyond the white space removal. Older version of FrontPage don't do quite as well.