dianesdesigns

Trying To Put Frontpage In New Computer

:) I'm stumped. I have a newer computer now. I am trying to install Frontpage Update 2002 into it. I was able to install Frontpage 98 in and I thought Frontpage 2002 would go right in after and Update to 2002 like it did in my older computer.

Well, I get this message: Error 1402- Setup cannot open the registry key . Unknown\msoHelp.\HtmlHelp\CLSD. Verify that you have sufficient permission toaccess the registry.

I am the sole operator of my computer. I tried to install it with turning off my virus protection and Firewall, but I still get this message. Can anyone help me figure out what I need to do?

Diane

Welcome to the forums.

Are you installing as a user with Adminstrator permissions?

I don't see any place to set it to how I am installing it ( user or Administer). I just put the CD in and it starts the installation process. It doesn't have this listed at all as to choose either one of the choices you asked about.

Diane

Welcome to the forums. If I remember right, a new computer has the first login as the "administrator". (You can change users permissions in the control panel.) Regarding your error, if you're able to get on line, have you googled the error or checked Microsoft's site?

Welcome to the forums. If I remember right, a new computer has the first login as the "administrator". (You can change users permissions in the control panel.) Regarding your error, if you're able to get on line, have you googled the error or checked Microsoft's site?

Well I went into the Control panel and made myself the Computer Administrater. I did a restart of the computer after this and tried to install. The same error message came up. I did send an error message out, but have not heard anything. I will try the Micosoft site if you think that would be the best way to figure this out.

Diane

Welcome to the forums. What version of Windows are you running?

http://support.microsoft.com/?scid=kb;en-u...id=2514&sid=312

This should fix it if you are using 98 or ME. I am still looking for a Win 2000 or XP fix for this.

I also found

Quit all Windows Programs

START | RUN | REGEDT32.exe |OK

Select the HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Miscrosoft\Shared Tools\Proofing

Tools\Custom Key

On the Security menu, click Permissions

Set the Permissions for you of Full Control

Note Make sure that you select the Replace permission on existing subkeys

check

Click OK in the Registry Permissions dialog box

On the Registry menu, click Exit

Be careful when using these. You must follow them EXACTLY. A wrong move in the registry can complicate things. Note, I have not tried this out. I am just passing on what I found on the web.

CAUTION: If you do anything to the registry, make sure you back up anything you want to keep. Also, you can make a back up of the registry in case things really go screwy!

After reading a couple of the knowlegebase articles I would step back and look at what was done before the error. Your problem may have started by installing a version that does not work in Windows XP. Frontpage 2002 I believe is an old version and 98 is probably not even supported anymore. If you installed 98 first it may have started the problem and 2002 can't get by the error.

Its also possible that the 2002 Upgrade will only work with a copy of Frontpage 2000. I would check the MS Office Web pages to check and see if the 2002 version will work with the 98 version. If you have the original box it should have the requirements listed on it.

Hello,

The frontpage 2002 upgrade will upgrade and frontpage software from 97 onwards.

# FrontPage 2002:

# NOTE: You must be a registered owner of FrontPage version 97 or later to qualify for this upgrade

# Pentium 133 MHz or faster processor; Pentium III recommended

# Microsoft Windows 98, 98 Second Edition, 2000 Professional, Me, or NT 4.0 with SP6 or later (requires Internet Explorer 4.01 with SP1 or later)

# 32 MB RAM (Windows 98); 40 MB RAM (Windows Me, NT Workstation or Server); 64 MB RAM, 128 MB recommended (Windows Professional)

# CD-ROM drive

# Super VGA (800 x 600) or higher-resolution monitor with 256 colors

# 165 MB hard disk space with 115 MB on the hard disk where the operating system is installed; users without Windows 2000, Windows Me, or Office 2000 SR-1 require an additional 50 MB for System Files Update (hard disk usage will vary depending on configuration; custom installation choices may require more or less hard disk space)

Hello,

The frontpage 2002 upgrade will upgrade and frontpage software from 97 onwards.

This is correct and what my box says. I did get Frontpage 98 working also.

Diane

Oh that I didn't know, have a good look around the MS support site and google as there are a number of links and topics that may assist you.