I have activiated a couple of Mailman mailing lists on our website via the control panel (Mail > Mailing Lists). I have also activated SpamAssassin. But I am unsure of how I can integrate these two programs. I want to be able to use SpamAssassin to intercept spam sent to our mailing lists.

There is an article online on how this can be done. See...

http://www.jamesh.id.au/articles/mailman-spamassassin/

But the procedures outlined in the article appear to be out of the scope of what I can do through our website control panel. In fact, I have looked copiously via FileZilla at our website space and have found no evidence of the Mailman application. So, wherever this app is located, it is outside the scope of my access rights as the account holder (i.e., it must be at the mail server level). B)

I asked the TCH support desk if they could help and they referred me to the forum. :group: Although, I think if the Mailman program is installed at the server level, the support function should be the correct route to go through.

So, can anyone suggest how I can get these two applications working with each other?

And, can anyone shed light on why TCH doesn't support an app that's at the server-side (Mailman: an application I cannot access)? :)

I have activiated a couple of Mailman mailing lists on our website via the control panel (Mail > Mailing Lists). I have also activated SpamAssassin. But I am unsure of how I can integrate these two programs. I want to be able to use SpamAssassin to intercept spam sent to our mailing lists.

There is an article online on how this can be done. See...

http://www.jamesh.id.au/articles/mailman-spamassassin/

But the procedures outlined in the article appear to be out of the scope of what I can do through our website control panel. In fact, I have looked copiously via FileZilla at our website space and have found no evidence of the Mailman application. So, wherever this app is located, it is outside the scope of my access rights as the account holder (i.e., it must be at the mail server level). B)

I asked the TCH support desk if they could help and they referred me to the forum. :group: Although, I think if the Mailman program is installed at the server level, the support function should be the correct route to go through.

So, can anyone suggest how I can get these two applications working with each other?

And, can anyone shed light on why TCH doesn't support an app that's at the server-side (Mailman: an application I cannot access)? :)

Hello,

Interesting topic now as far as I am aware SpamAssassin and Mailman don't integrate together as far as cPanel goes.

Hello,

Interesting topic now as far as I am aware SpamAssassin and Mailman don't integrate together as far as cPanel goes.

Exactly my point Mark. :) It begs the question of how we protect these types of mailing lists - from both Spam and virus attacks. In the case of Spam, it seems it is possible to use SpamAssassin with Mailman (see my prior link). And in the case of virus protection, I understand there is a program called CLAMAV (see http://www.tummy.com/Software/mailman-clamav) that can be integrated with Mailman. I would be willing to slog through the configuration integration tasks in both cases, if that were possible, but since it is not then I have to wonder how I can install these types of protections short of direct assisstance from TCH? :blink:

Exactly my point Mark. :) It begs the question of how we protect these types of mailing lists - from both Spam and virus attacks. In the case of Spam, it seems it is possible to use SpamAssassin with Mailman (see my prior link). And in the case of virus protection, I understand there is a program called CLAMAV (see http://www.tummy.com/Software/mailman-clamav) that can be integrated with Mailman. I would be willing to slog through the configuration integration tasks in both cases, if that were possible, but since it is not then I have to wonder how I can install these types of protections short of direct assisstance from TCH? :blink:

Hello,

I do know that mailscanner along with spam assassin and mailman will work but this is getting into installing new items on the servers and we always have to be very careful when doing this, we like to keep our servers nice and stable.

To be honest I am not sure if we could install mailscanner and maybe one of the TCH tech guys or systems admins would be able to add some input here.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi TCH-

You guys need to start routing the Mailman list emails through Spam Assassin. Currently, all Mailman list email addresses bypass Spam Assassin, leaving us who administrate lists no ability to control SPAM posted to the list.

It seems like most systems have been setup to route their mailman list emails though Spam Assassin. It is a logical thing to do! Why should our regular emails (john@example.com) go through Spam Assassin, but our list emails (discussiongroup@example.com) do not. :blink:

When Mailman lists emails have been configured to run through Spam Assassin, then it will be very easy for us to manage spam for our list. I posted about this the other day!

:) Please set this up so we can stop SPAM from being sent to our TCH Mailman lists! :clapping:

That would be difficult to implement I think since not all users may be using Spam Assassin on their accounts. And Mailman is a server run application it is not a script running on each account.

Someone correct me if I am wrong.

That would be difficult to implement I think since not all users may be using Spam Assassin on their accounts. And Mailman is a server run application it is not a script running on each account.

Someone correct me if I am wrong.

Here's how to do it. (http://www.python.org/cgi-bin/faqw-mm.py?req=all#4.23])

Doesn't seem that hard. Now go get to work! :)

What Spam Assassin adds are some extra spam label headers to an email so that the programmes (such as mailman) can use that information to make decisions about what to do with that email. Unless Mailman is told (like myself or the top poster might do) to specifically to use those headers, TCH users of mailman will notice no difference in their list behavior.

That's assuming it's been set up correctly by TCH of course!

What Spam Assassin adds are some extra spam label headers to an email so that the programmes (such as mailman) can use that information to make decisions about what to do with that email. Unless Mailman is told (like myself or the top poster might do) to specifically to use those headers, TCH users of mailman will notice no difference in their list behavior.

That's assuming it's been set up correctly by TCH of course!

I gotta agree with dapozo on this one TCH :D

When you click on the "Mail" icon in your control center you get various options on the Mail Manager Main Menu...

Web Mail

Email Domain Forwarding

Manage/Add/Remove Accounts

Default Address

Auto-responders

E-mail Filtering

Forwarders

Mailing Lists

SpamAssassin

BoxTrapper Spam Trap

Trace an E-mail Address

Modify Mail Exchanger (MX Entry)

The fact that these items ("Mailing Lists" and "SpamAssassin") are in the Mail Manager Main Menu implies a level of compatability and configuration. You've got SpamAssassin configured to work with our regular email accounts, so it seems only reasonable that it should also be configured to work with our Mailing Lists.

TCH needs to get it's act together on this IMHO :D

Don is right, you guys are kind of barking up the wrong tree. As mods, we can't do anything to change server configuration. Talk with the help desk or the head man himself. One thing though, I wouldn't go telling Bill that he "needs" to do this or "get his act together". :D

Now, you get to work. :D

Got a ticket in already. I think they are actually working on it because I keep getting emails from a list called "test" that I didn't setup. :D

GASP!

No, really? We are actually getting our act together?

I am so glad we had you to help us get our act together.

Now I can sleep at night.

*TCH-Dick walks away shaking head.