Subdomain Scenario

Ok, im assuming subdomains work like this:

I set up a subdomain, say bob.thinkdigitally.com

and the file structure in here is just like my normal webspace, with public web folders and waht not, and anything placed in there would open another site (like if i created a site, and then typed http://bob.thinkdigitally.com it would default to the index.htm in the public_html dir of the subdomain) Now, my question is, can i set these up with thier own FTP account, to access ONLY the files on that subdomain?

Also: im assuming that these files will use my bandwidth.

Here's where im going with this:

I'm a web designer, and as part of my service, i want to offer my clients their own subdomain on my server (this hosting) which they can mask with thier own domain name, of course. Should this be a bandwidth concern for me? And if it comes to where i need more bandwidth, can I buy extra bandwidth, or would i need to get a larger hosting plan? If so, how much would the addition of extra bandwidth cost?

I believe that what you want to do is in violation of TCH's Acceptable Use policy. However, it can be done by signing up for a reseller account. You can then provide your customers with their own web space under your reseller account.

-kw

I believe that what you want to do is in violation of TCH's Acceptable Use policy. However, it can be done by signing up for a reseller account. You can then provide your customers with their own web space under your reseller account.

-kw

Really? How is that a violation? (glad i asked this before i did it)

Ive noticed a few people around here give their friends hosting, so i dont see how hosting my projects is anything different. ;)

Yes this is a BIG Acceptable Use Policy violation.

Web Sites

TotalChoice Hosting provides storage space and access for web sites through its Web services. TotalChoice Hosting will not routinely monitor the contents of your web sites. You may only host one domain per virtual account, resellers are allowed to host unlimited domains.

No, there's not anybody around here giving their friends free hosting, and if there is.. be warned now that your risking the suspension or termination of your account.

Yes this is a BIG Acceptable Use Policy violation.

No, there's not anybody around here giving their friends free hosting, and if there is.. be warned now that your risking the suspension or termination of your account.

So im not allowed to make a website for my fiance and host it with mine? I'm kind of confused as to how this is working. I am onlyallowed to host my own site here? What if i own several sites? Like my business site, as well as my personal site, which ive been working on.

You can only host one site per plan, unless you bump up to becoming a reseller.  You could purchase other plans and then you could host other sites.  Hope this make sence!  :D

But what if they are my sites? I run a business, and i would like to have a personal site as well.. I can understand why i cant host my customer's sites.

Im not even sure if we are on the same page as what i mean when i say 'site'.

I am very confused. ;)

Edit: Because to be honest, there is NO way i am going to make use of all my space that i am paying for with just my personal site. I got this plan because i was going to have my site, as well as my business site hosted here, all under one control panel.

What you are saying sounds very restrictive.

No you can't host multiple domains from your site even if they are your domains.

You may only host one domain per virtual account. That's about as clear as I can make it, taking it right from the Acceptable Use Policy.

ok, you mean i cant get another www.mynamehere.com and have it point to a seperate section of my site. I get ya there, but can i make a personal site, like my blog site, and make it http://jason.thinkdigitally.com ? and if i cant do this, why is there an option to creat "unlimited subdomains"? Sorry for being a total newb! ;)

Okay, doing something like blog.yoursite.com or photos.yoursite.com is okay just as long as that's the the bigger whole of the site and it all ties in. From what you just now described I'd say your on the fine-line between a violation and being safe.

If your blog is kept totally seperate from anything "buisness-wise" your doing, then I'd say you might be in trouble.

On the other hand, if it was integrated, like say you just wanted to give your clients a look in, and I didn't feel like i was traveling to a whole diffrent site.. then it might be okay.

Best thing I could tell you to do, is just buy a simple plan and another domain name (they are cheep these days) if you want to break off and have a personal site, that way the lines of where your personal and professional site integrate wouldn't be a problem at all.

Okay, doing something like blog.yoursite.com or photos.yoursite.com is okay just as long as that's the the bigger whole of the site and it all ties in. From what you just now described I'd say your on the fine-line between a violation and being safe.

If your blog is kept totally seperate from anything "buisness-wise" your doing, then I'd say you might be in trouble.

On the other hand, if it was integrated, like say you just wanted to give your clients a look in, and I didn't feel like i was traveling to a whole diffrent site.. then it might be okay.

Best thing I could tell you to do, is just buy a simple plan and another domain name (they are cheep these days) if you want to break off and have a personal site, that way the lines of where your personal and professional site integrate wouldn't be a problem at all.

I'm still haveing a hard time as to why it is defined as illegal in the AUS. I would just like to keep my personal site apart from my business site.

I just dont want prospective customers to navigate to my personal site, and decide not to use my services because of something they read in my personal blog or something.

Im not talking a different domain, im just saying a different web page. That has nothing to do with my business.

I could understand if it were a warez site, or something, but this is just another site that i am hosting for myself. I dont understand why that is deemed 'bad' ;)

Here is the bottom line.

What your wanting to do is simply not allowed within the terms of service that you agreed upon when hosting.

This is from your post -

"I'm a web designer, and as part of my service, i want to offer my clients their own subdomain on my server (this hosting) which they can mask with thier own domain name, of course."

Simply not allowed. Against the rules. If you want to resell my servers please buy a reseller account. Web Designers need to buy reseller accounts, thats what they are there for.

Your account is to be used for one domain only. Its clearly spelled out in the AUP -

"You may not conduct hostee or offer free web hosting to people based on your subdomains."

Further spelled out here -

Web Sites

TotalChoice Hosting provides storage space and access for web sites through its Web services. TotalChoice Hosting will not routinely monitor the contents of your web sites. You may only host one domain per virtual account, resellers are allowed to host unlimited domains.

Content is content... If your running your business site on one sub-domain and your girlfriends site on another and your bowling club site on another subdomain, then thats a clear violation of our Virtual Accounts AUP.

Bill

Ok, so if i decide to upgrade to a reseller package, will i have move to another server and go through domain propagation all over again? Will i have to set up my accounts and cpanel stuff all over again?

Let me see if I understand this, Jim, Bob and Harry are my children and want to each have a website. I have www.thissite.com.

So if these are their sites:

jim.thissite.com

bob.thissite.com

harry.thissite.com

and none of which are connected, none of the sites are commercial, nor am I charging my sons for the use of the space (ie I'm not reselling). Is this a violation? :lol:

Yes, iffy, that is a violation.

If thissite.com was all about the "Children of Mine"

AND

Each of the subdomains (one for each child) were an extension of the main site

SAY

More details, etc about the son and his particular hobbies, interest, life, etc.

That would be acceptable.

well yikes! :lol:

Can you give me a little while to set up redirection and buy another domain name?

That hypothetical situation I mentioned is exactly how it's setup (only the names have been changed to protect to the innocent, and I'm one of the kids -- I guess my dad doesn't know)

I'll fix it lickity split.

THANK YOU!

You know I never cease to be amazed at how honest people can and will be. It's always a delight to run across those that strive to follow the rules and get informed. So for that I thank you.

Don't panic, ok? You're not in danger of being shut down or anything. Just make it right.

:lol:

Even if you move to a different server, propagation shouldn't be an issue, cause you (or tch I guess) can just change the info on both name servers?

sound right anybody?

So essentially while you propagate from one ns to the other, it's still going to be the same info.

If it is on the same server there will be no problem with propagation since the IP address doesn't change. If it is on a different server then you don't have to worry about changing the nameservers but you will have to deal with propagation issues since the ip address will be different. Doesn't apply in this case because if you set up a new account in your reseller account it will be on the same server.

• 2 months later...

Okay, I probably should know the answer, but here goes (one last clarification):

What if I don't have a subdomain for my girlfriend, but do have a subdirectory for her, i.e.,

www.****/girlfriend/

for her friends and family to see what she's up to? Am I within the legal use if there is no link to her directory on my main site OR do I have to have a link on the main site that ties it all together?

This is for a Shared Hosting account.

thanks,

Stefan