NASCAR Nextel Cup (2006)

LeeGoldsmith

Hay Steve

Less then 6 weeks before the Daytona 500. And Mark Martin is running one more year. Hope he gets that championship he so dearly deserves. For a man who was about to retire from cup racing he is going to run around 54 (cup, busch, truck and IROC) races this year.

See Yah

Lee

Bruce

Please be real, he has two championships and Mark thinks the world of him, so lets rout for Mark this year.

Oh bye the way Tony has said he would like Mark to win that championship (mutual admiration).

Lee

Bruce

Please give me an example of him whining. That man does not and is not a whiner. I have never herd him bad mouth another driver by name, and he he bitches it is because he has a right to bitch at some of the stupid moves other driver make on the track.

Lee

Thomas

Stock Car Racing NASCAR Nextel Cup. I only put my first post in because I know Steve is a Mark Martin fan like me.

Lee

The whining I was referring to was him giving up on the championship last year. Oh we're done. We have no chance. We lost. Come on are you a racer and never give up or do you just want to whine about it.

I may have paraphrased what he said but I got the impression he just gave up.

Tell me he didn't do that?

The whining I was referring to was him giving up on the championship last year. Oh we're done. We have no chance. We lost. Come on are you a racer and never give up or do you just want to whine about it.

I may have paraphrased what he said but I got the impression he just gave up.

Tell me he didn't do that?

Bruce

He was dejected yes but I don't call that whining. He never named another driver for the accident at Dega but he could have. Jimmie Johnson has about as much tallent as Mark has in his little finger. My point is that is not whining. You want whining go back a few years and listen to Jeff Gordon, now he is a whiner. I have followed Mark for about 12 years now and I have never herd him say a direct slam on another driver. Also you reallisticly can't take the kind of hit he tock at Dega when it was not his fault and expect to be all sunshine and roses. He never gave up, had 6 great races out of the last seven and moved up to fouth in points. It just seems that luck is not on his side. If not for the reck at Dega he would have won the championship if he finished just 7th of better at Dega. He had the car to do that and was wipped out by a very dumb early race move by JJ.

Lee

I will agree with you on the point of never blaming other drivers. A lot of the new crop of drivers could learn much from him.

But dejected or not it came off as whining. And yes, I know all too well about JG's whining. You see, I live with a JG fan! :lol:

And don't get me started on JJ. :P

I can't wait! First of all, I've met Mark Martin on numerous occasions (I was part of four pre-race shows and got a few other "backstage" passes). Even spent about an hour talking with him and his wife one year. The rest of these drivers, with the exception of a few, should take lessons from Mark on how to be a classy individual. I can tell you from personal experience what you see of him on TV is exactly what he is. He may have been "whining", but he only did it when there was no mathmatical chance of him winning the title. But he still went out and ran his butt off the rest of the races. I hope he get's his title this year too. He truly deserves it.

You wanna talk about whiners? Try Robbie Gordon. Just don't listen to his radio channel if you go to a race. I guarantee you won't like what he has to say!

JG? I won't even go there! JJ? Same thing.

BTW...I'm trying to weasel I mean work out something with my job so I can be in the Daytona/Orlando area the middle of February. So we'll see what happens!

He may have been "whining", but he only did it when there was no mathmatical chance of him winning the title.
Steve, he wrecked early in Talledega and just about gave up right there. This was the third race into race for the cup.

From the NASCAR site

Martin, who can rarely be confused for an optimist, was pessimistic about his title hopes after the wreck -- even considering Johnson came from more than 250 points back last year to lose the title by eight points.

"It hurts [but] what are you going to do?" Martin said. "It would have been hard to win this championship if I would have got a top 10 [so] you figure it out."

I posted this topic on Mark Martin's Roush forum and this was the best response to the topic.

----------------

I'm sure that if you listen to every scanner, you hear 43 different whiners on every given week. You'll find one thing about the racing media too--they hang on to old stories. They keep constantly bringing up the championship, what is he supposed to say? I'm sure he feels like a broken record time after time.

But Mark tells the truth--I say, more power to him. He says stuff that other people are not afraid to say about mystery cautions, and restrictor plate races. Yet, out of all of this alleged "whining", I have YET to see him act like an idiot towards his fellow competitors. He does not trash them EVER, or if he does, he shows respect. They should ALL be like Mark.

JJ and Jeffy are whiners. To me, the definition of a whiner is someone that does not take things like a man. They sound like little boys when they say stuff that didn't get their own way. They don't accept things--at least Mark always does. He doesn't get on and whine about how things are not fair. He just speaks his mind but he lets it go.

--------------------------

As Steve has pointed out Mark is a class act from start to finish and to say he is whining is absurd. He tells it like it is and that is it.

Lee

P.S. Steve hope you get to see the Race at Daytona!! :D

Bruce

I know it is your opinion, it just seems to touch me off when people put Mark down, thats all. I think the AAA sponsor will be great for all. Mark should be a great rep for them and hope he gets to do some cool ads for them.

Rob AA is long behind Mark, that is the distent past for him. If you look at him in a T-shirt or no shirt at all you will see what I mean. Not many 47 year old mem look as good as he does from a physical shape stand point.

Lee

Rob you are excused.

Funny you did not know that Mark is an alcoholic, but that is behind him now. I really thought that was what you ment by your post. As I said you are excused.

Lee

Doesn't matter what y'all think. Jeff Gordon is going to win the 2006 Championship anyways. :(

He and his team unfortunately have some serious work to do to make that a reality.

Mark's a good guy and racer. I'm still a little hung up on Tony's past (his temperament) to really get behind him, but I know he's come a long ways these last couple/few years.

I'm looking forward to seeing some more young drivers get up there too.

This is likely the last year of the super fast speeds, so enjoy it (or suffer through it depending on your view) while you can...

Steve

I think Carl Edwards and Greg Biffle are going to be Mark's biggest challange this year. Carl is going to be a super star in NASCAR and he is a great young driver. The other question mark is the new Fussion, I am hoping it is good as it seems to be and maybe this will help all the Ford drivers this year.

Lee