foonaka

Importing Files In Frontpage 2003

Hey guys,

I have 3 different accounts with TCH, I've had one of them for over a year now. Recently, however, I have been having a problem importing some files in FrontPage. I get an error message telling me:

"The server could not complete your request. Contact your Internet Service provider or Web Server administrator to make sure the server has the FrontPage Server extensions or SharePoint services installed."

If I click on 'Details' it says, "406 Not Acceptable. Not Acceptable An appropriate representation of the requested resource /_vti_bin/_vti_aut/author.exe could not be found on this server. Apache/1.3.33 Server at www.domain.ext Port 80.

The problem does not go for all files. It seems to be only files of a certain size (i.e. audio files). Two of my sites are church sites and we post the pastor's messages online in WMA format (usually about 8 to 10 MB in size). We seem to only have the problem when importing these types of files...Although a similar file of only 3 MB imported just fine.

I submitted a ticket to support, but they said everything was fine on their end, and they had no idea what the problem could be. I also tried re-installing the FP extensions, but that did nothing.

The weird thing is that I can go to my FTP site and upload them there, and then copy them to the correct folder using FrontPage...This has been our only workaround.

Any ideas?

Welcome to the forums foonaka.

My guess is that Frontpage is timing out with files that large. I would recommend using FTP to upload those files and then just create the links to them on your pages.

I haven't used Frontpage in about 5 years but I wouldn't want to sit and wait for FP to do it's uploads anyway. FTP is much faster.

Welcome to the forums foonaka. I have to agree with Bruce. I have had trouble in the past with FP and uploading large files where FTP works fine. Often the timeouts are smaller for the protocol that FP uses.

Thanks guys!

It's really kind of weird, because it has worked fine for that full year (up until about 3 weeks ago). Then all of a sudden it just won't work anymore.

Is there any way to adjust the time-out length?

Tis a common problem with FrontPage and large files, especially audio/video files.

In FrontPage mark the files as DO NOT PUBLISH by right clicking the individual file and choosing that option. You can still use FrontPage to link to the files in your HTM, HTML, PHP, etc., files, but now FrontPage will not attempt to publish them to your site.

Then, using a good FTP program, such as Filezilla, upload them to the appropriate folder on your site.

All will be fine then, life will be happy, and you'll have taken a great leap in getting your content up to your site as FrontPage is very, very slow on such file types.