Home Network

jme574

Ok, not sure if i will be able to explain this right but here it goes:

I have 3 computers and a laptop all running dsl through a linksys wireless router. The main computer is hardwired and the other 2 computers and laptop are all connected via wireless. Is there away to have each computer with a different IP address? I was thinking before when someone else set up my router with one laptop and one desktop the the IP addresses was 1 number different.

Here is the problem. There are several games that my kids like to play together like Diablo but since all the computers have the same ip addy, they get a error message that says something along the lines of, "the ip address limit has been exceded". or something to that effect.

Can anyone help?

Thanks,

Phillip

Since you have only one connection to the internet - it has one IP address. Within your own network, each laptop / computer will have a separate IP address, but that is not what the game will be checking.

The other option is to use a proxy.

Sounds like you kinda have the same setup I have. There are some settings in the Linksys configuration that you might have to look at. For one, if you're running DHCP, there is a setting that you can set the max number of IP addresses. Alternatively, you can manually assign an IP address to each machine. For example, 192.168.1.100, 192.168.1.101, and so on. (I would recommend you start your numbering at .100 as .1 is usually the router.)

I'm assuming from your post that all can talk to the Internet through the Linksys router. If not, check the number of IP addresses in the router setup configuration.

Phillip,

Andy hit it. Even though all of the computers have a seperate internal IP address they alluse the same IP to connect to the internet. As such, one computer on your network will have to find an alternate method to connect to the game server. A proxy would be one alternative and most likely the least expensive.

I don't know how much help this will be, but I think it may depend on how your ISP has things setup. I have 2 computers connected to my dsl modem with a simple ethernet hub (no DHCP server) so each computer gets it own IP from my ISP's DHCP server. You could possibly try turning off the DHCP server in your wireless router so that it acts as a simple access point/hub. I think you would then plug your DSL modem into the hub portion of your router rather than the "Internet" port.

Edited by click

Hi Phillip, I would suggest you check the support pages for the game you are trying to play. I did a search on Diablo and found the game(s) on blizzard.com. I browsed around their support pages and found references for multi-players on a LAN so you probably need to set your LAN up the way they need it. Here is a section to start at that covers networking.

h_tp://www.blizzard.com/support/?id=msi0423p

Thinking about this some more... you'll want to research it some before you try disabling the DHCP server. Make sure you know how to get back into the router config after it's been disabled since you won't be in the 192.168.x.x or whatever subnet with the router anymore. I don't know how much you know about networking and setting up the router.

Edited by click

Phillip, here is the section you need. You need to assign different ports to different computers so the online game knows which computer to send the information to. Here is the page with the instructions for Linksys routers. Hope this is what you need.

h_tp://www.blizzard.com/support/?id=mgi0652p

• 3 weeks later...

There is a difference betwen LAN games and WAN games. Since I do lots of online games I can help you here. (Cough cough... Can I make it to a TWL this Friday? My clan isn't too happy I'm missing it!). I remember killing many nights playing Diablo2 with my friends trying to collect all the rare collection items.

The realy problem is whether an online game's protocol supports NAT traversion. NAT is Native Address Translation where 1 ip address in the 'world' is internally shared by multiple machines with different ip addresses in the LAN. You systems will have ip addresses of say 192.168.1.x. But when the systems inside the LAN makes request to the outside they are all coming from 1 ip address. The question here is does Blizzard games support NAT traversion and the answer is following:

"Warcraft III is the only Blizzard Title that currently supports multiple players hosting games behind NAT. "

http://www.blizzard.com/support/?id=msi0445p

So don't bother. Port Forwarding, DMZ, and all the other stuff won't matter. The answer is if your kids want to play diablo 1/2 in multiplayer mode in LAN mode it's OK. But in the online mode only 1 person can connect at any time. Many games support gamespy and seemeplayme as the protocol. I know that the older Microsoft online game service also did not support NAT traversion. So next time you are not sure, look up the title's support and search for 'NAT'.

If you kids wants to play together but can't be in the same room, I recommend using either Ventrillo, or teamspeak. The latter is more popular with game clans who have the server up 24/7. (I'm actually on one right now talking to my buddies). Ventrillo has substantially better sound quality. But it also eats more CPU, according to some. Consider using voip chat technology as that is what hardcore gamers and clans use to coordinate together.

Connecting HUB to the DSL/Cable Modem will 99% of the time will not work because each device only supports 1 ip address. And be cautious about hooking up a hub to it because it typically recognizes the mac address of the first device, and will only allow that device to talk until it's powered off/on. In some cases, though not as often as it used to be in the late 90's, it will require you to call the support to 'reset' the modem.

Good Luck!

Leigh

• 3 weeks later...

Differnt question same "Home network" topic:

I have 3 desktop computers and one laptop, with a 3meg dsl connection running through a Westell modem and a Linksys wireless router.

Heres is my problem. The main destop comp is hardwired to the router while the other 2 desktops and laptop all run wireless through it. I have run the network setup wizzard the same on all 4 computers. The main destop, the laptop and 1 of the other desktops are all networked together and can pull files from each other and share the same printer. However the last desktop Will not allow any access to it or from it.

On the main destop when i go to view workgroup computers, I can see that destop on the workgroup, but when i click on it i get an error message:

"\\Brandon is not accessable. You might not have permission to use this network resource. Contact the Administrator of this server to find out if you have access permissions.

The network path was not found."

When I go to that destop and click on view workgroup computers I get this message:

"MSHOME is not accessable. You might not have permission to use this network resource. Contact the Administrator of this server to find out if you have access permissions.

The list of servers for this workgroup is not currently available."

Any ideas why this one computer won't work on the network? I still has internet access. I have went into the router setup and verified all the ip addys are different. Even made sure all the firewalls on each computer is set the same.

Are all computers in the same WORKGROUP? If not you can only see the ones in the same group.

Right click on the My Computer icon and select Properties. Assuming you are running XP click on the Computer Name tab, then click the Change button, what is in the Worgroup field on each computer. They should all be the same.

Just checked - all 4 computers have the same workgroup name - MSHOME

What would happen if I changed all 4 computer workgroup names to say "network" or something - maybe if i try to setup the whole network again under and new workgroup name ...?

Ok - i just bought my son that Compaq for christmas - I just completed a full reformat and Install of his computer. It is back the way it came out of the box. However, i have ran the network setup wizard 3 more times and it still won't work. All the ip addys are different i.e. .100, .101, .102, .103. All of them have different Names and discriptions and all of them have the same workgroup name - MSHOME

I ran ipconfig /all on each of them they are all the same except where

Windows IP Configuration

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : PHILLIP

Primary Dns Suffix . . . . . . . :

Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Unknown

IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No

WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No

The 3 that work say unknown but his says:

Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Hybrid

Is that anything?

Two things to check.

Like Bruce said, check to see if sharing on the drive is on.

Next check the Windows Firewall, turn it off to see if you can get access.

Is there some place that I missed? Where all would I check to make sure sharing is on?

The fire walls are off now.

Where all would I check to make sure sharing is on?

I at work at the moment on Win2k, not XP...I'll be home shortly.

You can go into Control panel or into Windows Explorer and RIGHT-click on the C: drive and select Sharing from there. I can't give the exact steps until I am on MY XP machine.

ok - i shut off the norton 2005 completly - then went through the network setup wizard again. IT WORKED! however when i turn nortons back on, the network won't show up. All the other computers are running Nortons 2003. I think I am gonna delete his 60 trial of 2005 and install the full 2003 on his computer and see what happens.

Thanks for hanging in there with me.

NORTONS!!!

Ok, your problem is with the firewall and you'll need to allow access through it for your network to work. I don't use Nortons nor do I like it...so you'll have to wait for someone to come along and help you with it. Nortons has trashed more computers then they have fixed and I stay as far away from it as I can.