Thumper

Automatic Ip Ban

Looking in my error log history in CPanel, I see 2 crack files that different IP addresses are trying to excecute. The files are not there, because the attachment script disallows .phtml files... What I'm trying to find is if anyone knows of a way to automatically ban these IP addresses which are tying to execute the file w/o me having to check the log nightly? I've looked through my server and the fles do not exist anyware on the server so I'm not worried about them being executed...I just want to keep these hack attempts down.

While I don't know of a way offhand (stand by...maybe someone else does), I would assume that if attempts come from one or two IP addresses, it may be possible. If it's multiple attempts from multiple addresses, I don't think it would be worth the effort. If it's the latter, you'd have to keep checking the log files. On a personal note...I'm not too worried about it as TCH keeps hacking attempts on my servers at bay. I do a scan of log files about once every few weeks just in case.

You could write a script - with that file name, that simply logs the IP and adds it to the .htaccess banned list whenever it's called.

Just make sure that you have no links to those pages - otherwise you will ban google :eek: