Really Small Linux Distro

TCH-Rick

I have been playing around with Puppy Linux from this web site. I burned the Live CD and booted from it. I then ran a Setup USB and it installed to a 512 meg USB drive which I can now use to boot my laptop into linux. I have Suse installed to dual boot on my laptop as well but I was impressed at how much easier it was to get my wireless network card to work using the directions in PuppyLinux.

The boot up actually creates a RAM disk and loads into RAM. While it takes a bit longer to boot than some other versions, once it boots everything flies! It includes most applications that you would need including word processing, browser, multimedia, chat, and more.

If you have an extra USB drive lying around I would recommend trying it out. I also tried FlashLinux but it was not nearly as easy to get running.

I had a play with PuppyLinux and DSL.

I initially thought that Puppy wasn't up to much - but as I played with it a liitle more, I found it remarkebly powerful for an operating system, and lots of utilities. Overally I preferred PuppyLinux to DSL in the end (DSL is Knoppix based)

I use Linux on the servers all the time :)

I dual boot at home - XP with ubuntu. There are times when I want to look at sites with the same system as a typical user (it helps when providing support - hence I also have outlook express, outlook, IE even though I don't use them for my own stuff).

I'm in good company I see. At work I have to use XP - too many programs aren't written for linux that we use such as our work order system. :(

At home I have one game that I need XP for that I can't part with - otherwise it's Kubuntu all the way.

I had all day Monday fighting with my printer (Epson Stylus) until I ran across instructions on how to upgrade the kernel to Breezy Badger from Hoary Hedgehog (gotta love those names!) and it was all better. I'd hate to have tried it as a non-power user though - either me or it wouldn't have survived it. :)

I do like the updates better than the microsoft way - if for nothing else, most apps are included so you hit update-all and it's done. :D

Jim, I recommend you upgrade all your system to Breezy's packages, otherwise you'll be stuck with older versions of the software.

Here's a guide on how to upgrade from Hoary Hedgehog to Breezy Badger. It says experimental but that's just because when the guide was written, Breezy Badger hadn't been released yet. Even so, I upgraded my system a couple of weeks before it came out and everything went fine. Besides, Breezy Badger has been out for quite a while, so you can trust the upgrade :)

Thanks for the link Raul!

I had basically done that through the synaptic gui but it did miss a couple of utils that way. I don't use them now but who knows... it's good to be squared away in case I do.

By the way, When was the last time you saw "You must reboot your computer for the changes to take effect."!!!! :) Windows - every time Linux - never Gotta love it!