Sarah

Unable To Upload Files

Hello all-

When I'm at home, I am strangely unable to upload any files to the server. I use SmartFTP but it will not connnect. Then I tried to connect to cPanel to upload the files, but it will not even let me see the page.

I have no problem with the domains I am accessing, since I can access them via other computers. I thought it may be a firewall issue so I tried making sure the Windows firewall is unblocking the program, but to no avail. I am exhausted of ideas on what the heck is on my PC why this wouldn't be working.

I am running Windows XP SP2 with firewall enabled, but set to unblock SmartFTP. Any ideas?

Sarah

Ok, I'm at the computer now. Yes, the FTP is set to passive mode. It OK's my password and then says...

227 Entering Passive Mode (69,50,210,183,60,103)

Opening data connection to xx.50.210.183 Port: 15463

MLSD

A connection attempt failed because the connected party did not properly respond after a period of time, or established connection failed because connected host has failed to respond.

Timeout (50s).

Active Help: http://www.smartftp.com/support/kb/index.php/74

Client closed the connection.

Automatic failover of data connection mode from "Passive Mode (PASV)" to "Active Mode (PORT)".

Does anyone know what that means? I used the default settings here and at work but I can connect at work just fine.

I also tried logging on to my Cpanel now, and I get 'page cannot be displayed'.

i'll do that now. Thanks.

The help desk said it was an issue with my ISP. I connect wirelessly to a router using Verizon DSL, but I doubt it is anything to do with them.

I think this may be a problem with the router's firewall.

Do you think it is blocking port 21 by default? What port does cPanel use?

I'll bet it is blocking those ports.

Well the standard FTP port is 21.

If you are using cPanel with the http:// it would be using port 2082

Accessing with https:// it would use port 2083

It does sound like something in the router blocking access. The port for cPanel is 2082 or 2083. I think you mentioned that you could connect from other computers so it does indicate something on the specific computer or network.

I believe it is something within the router. I am going to check with my landlord (who owns the router) and tell him to check the firewall.

I'll let you know what happens. Thanks.