Mail-daemon Bypassing Quarantine

andrewthk

I have a domain server set up, and all incoming e-mails goes through anti-spam, anti-virus software before landing in my inbox.

This program shows history of all incoming e-mails. However, messages from mail-daemon (ie: delivery fail notifications) gets bypassed, and is not listed in the anti-spam software as an incoming email.

They go straight to my inbox without getting quarantined.

Does anyone know why this is so? Are mail-daemon messages designed to go straight into inbox? if so, how?

Sincerely,

Andrew

The mail delivery failure messages you describe often come from a Mail Transfer Agent (MTA) on your own network and effectively mean that your MTA couldn't transfer the message to the remote host corresponding to the Mail eXchange (MX) record for the domain you're sending to OR that the email address specified is unknown to that remote host. depending on the configuration of your virus checker AND the placement of your MTA, these emails won't be treated as incoming mail as they're originating at your own server, within your own network and are correctly bypassing your main analysis tool.

I hope I've understood your questions correctly but this seems intuitively correct. :clapping: