Suggestions For Large Files

adverse

i have a (potential) new client who runs a print shop. in talking to him his website, one feature he'd like is for his clients to able to send their print jobs in electronically. obviously, in many instances these will be large files (maybe 10-20 MB). i'm looking for suggestions as how to best accomplish this. is setting up a specific email account with a jacked up quota the best option or will that quickly eat up bandwidth?

i'd love some opinions!

thanks.

At one of my jobs we had to submit a large book file for printing, and that was how that publisher accepted files as well: FTP.

You could create an uploads directory, and then create subdirectories under the uploads directory for each client.

Then you would create FTP accounts for each client, but you would restrict them to their upload folder. This would prevent them from being able to access other information on the server, including the project files for other clients.

It worked well for the printer we were using at the time.

Best wishes,

Internet Explorer lets you FTP directly through the client. That seems to work for most simple FTP requirements.

So, assuming your clients use IE, then I imagine that they could use their browser just fine.