Publishing Failure - Author.exe Not Found

waynej

FrontPage was working fine for awhile. Now when publishing, the progress meter shows a couple files being uploaded but the progress meter goes back to zero and it seemingly does another couple files, and repeats another time maybe, then I get an error whose Details shows:

406 Not Acceptable

Not Acceptable An appropriate representation of the requested resource /_vti_bin/_vti_aut/author.exe could not be found on this server.

Apache/1.3.33 Server at www.<domain> Port 80

I had FrontPage problems in the past that were fixed by me uninstalling and reinstalling the FrontPage extensions. That didn't help this time.

I did a quick google search and came up with a few sites that all say that it points towards mod_security and/or publishing to a sub-domain. You might want to open up a help desk ticket and have one of the techs take a look for you. Make sure you mention the full error message too!

• 1 month later...

I received the exact same error again on January 15. I didn't have time to enter a ticket until this morning. It got fixed very quickly. I then asked what caused the problem. Got answer of "There was a configuration issue with Front Page installation. We have fixed it. Please feel free to contact us, if you experience any such issues in future."

No, I wasn't looking for more information. Maybe I am wrong for my whole premise, but when I have a problem, I might look in the forums. I thought others might do that too. That's why I started this thread. I was happy enough with my previous message being the last in the thread. A reader would gather that it's a problem that sometimes happens to some people and you need to open a ticket when it occurs.

• 4 weeks later...

I just had the same problem come up on several domains, on two different TCH servers. I added the fix that Abdul mentioned and that fixed the problem for me. I added the line at the end of the .htaccess file:

Just add the following line in .htaccess file in your public_html folder

SecFilterEngine Off

• 4 weeks later...