If I Install Wordpress, Can I Disable Comments Altogether?

zilla

Well... the topic is pretty much the question...

If I install WordPress, can I disable comments altogether? I'm not sure that I want to, but just curious if that's available. I've been reading through the old posts on blogs and saw that many of you have been pleased with its ability to block most spam. Thanks in advance! ;)

I don't think there is a function within the WordPress interface that allows you to totally turn off comments (but I suppose you could check over in the WordPress forums to be sure). I looked through my interface, but I couldn't find a way to always not allow comments.

I know that on a post-by-post basis you can disallow comments, but I don't see a setting that allows you to turn them off for the whole site.

You could, however, make it so users had to be registered to post comments, and then you can moderate your users, and never approve new users. That would keep people from commenting...

Maybe somebody else knows an easier way.

In my copy in the admin section there is an Options area. In that there is a Discussion heading and in it there is an option that says "Allow people to post comments on the article". Also, while writing a post, there is an option to allow comments that you can uncheck to prevent them from being made.

Rob is right. Mine has that too. I just didn't see that setting when I was looking.

And even if you set comments "OFF" by default using that setting, you can still enable them for a specific post or page.

Good to know. Thanks, Rob!