Firefox 1.5

borfast

Firefox 1.5 has just been released.

It features some cool new stuff, like automated updates, drag and drop tabs reordering, improvements to popup blocking, better accessibility and better support for Mac OS X.

Remember to use the mirrors so that the main site doesn't go belly up ;)

1.5? I'm using 1.0.7. on my Windoze XP laptop. Did I miss something somewhere?

In a word: Yes.

In more than a word:

A Better Web Experience

Firefox 1.5 has an intuitive interface and blocks viruses, spyware, and popup ads. It delivers web pages faster than ever. And it’s easy to install and import your favorites. Packed with useful features like tabbed browsing, Live Bookmarks, and an integrated Search bar, Firefox will change the way you experience the Web, for the better.

Faster Browsing

Enjoy quick page loading as you navigate back and forward in a browsing session. Improvements to the engine that powers Firefox deliver more accurate display of complex web sites, support for new Web standards, and better overall performance.

Automatic Updates

The new Software Update feature makes it easy to get the latest security and feature updates to Firefox. Firefox automatically downloads these small updates in the background and prompts you when they are ready to be installed.

Tabbed Browsing

Use tabbed browsing to open multiple web pages in a single browser window, and quickly flip back and forth. Drag and drop open tabs to keep related pages together.

Improved Pop-up Blocking

Firefox’s built-in pop-up blocker has been enhanced to block more unwanted pop-up and pop-under ads.

Integrated Search

Tap into the power of the Web’s most popular search engines with the built-in Search bar, and easily add new engines.

Stronger Security

Firefox keeps you secure when you’re browsing the Web, closing the door on spyware, worms, and viruses. The Firefox community of developers and security experts works around the clock to monitor security issues and release updates to better protect you.

Clear Private Data

Protect your privacy with the new Clear Private Data tool. With a single click, you can delete all personal data, including browsing history, cookies, web form entries and passwords.

Live Bookmarks

Stay up to date with your favorite Web sites and blogs. Use Live Bookmarks that update themselves automatically with the latest content from the Web.

Accessibility

Firefox 1.5 delivers easier navigation for everyone, including those who are visually or motor-impaired. Firefox is now the first browser to support DHTML, which enables Web content to be read aloud - even new kinds of graphics-rich content. Users may navigate with keystrokes rather than mouse clicks, reducing the tabbing required to navigate documents such as spreadsheets. Firefox 1.5 is also the first browser to meet government requirements that software be easily accessible to users with physical impairments.

Customize Firefox

Select new button controls for your toolbars, install extensions to add new features, or change the look of your browser with themes - the way Firefox looks and works is under your control.

Next Generation Web Support

Innovative new Web applications and services deliver a richer Web experience. Support for open Web standards in Firefox ensures you can get the most out of this emerging class of Web-based tools.

Steve, Firefox 1.5 has been cooking for some time (I read about it a lot because I read news sites that talk about it). It's the path to 2.0 ;)

As for Mozilla 1.7.12, Jayson, just like Marie said, Mozilla and Firefox are completely separate programs. Mozilla is the old "Mozilla Suite", which includes a browser, an e- mail client, a webpage composer and a chat client (if I recall correctly) all in one program (which is actually several different programs but nevermind :D).

Firefox and Thunderbird are the "new generation" of browser and e-mail client from the Mozilla Foundation. They are intended to replace the Mozilla Suite sometime in the future.

Judging by the download numbers, Firefox was a huge success when 1.0 lauched. In just 4 days, the 1.0 preview release counted more than 1 million downloads; in the very same day the 1.0 final version was launched, the download count for that day alone was way above the 1 million mark; 32 days after 1.0 final was released, 10.000.000 (yes, ten million!) downloads were registered! And it's still slowly taking market away from Internet Explorer.

Besides, not every browser can brag about having a two page ad in the New York Times! ;)

Taking into account that this is an Open Source project, I think it's quite a feat :)

I've been using it since its 0.6 days and all I can say is: give it a try. Actually, give them both (Firefox and Thunderbird) a try! ;)

By the way, for those of you who already knew mozilla.org, Firefox and Thunderbird are now hosted on a new website, mozilla.com

Edited by borfast

Thanks, Raul.

I've updated. Unfortunatley some of my extensions don't work in the new release. I wish there was a way to know in advance if my extensions are going to break with a new release. But oh well.

Thanks Raul,

I'll have to check it out. I got the 1.5 RC and it's got some strangeness with arrowing-down a page - it usually jumps to the bottom instead of scrolling. Hope it's not a new feature! :tchrocks:

Thanks, Raul.

I've updated. Unfortunatley some of my extensions don't work in the new release. I wish there was a way to know in advance if my extensions are going to break with a new release. But oh well.

I've had the same issue. It's a bit of a pain, because I use a couple of them every time I run Firefox but they seem to have released updates for quite a few of the others.

Thanks, Raul.

They said on their website that some of the extensions won't work until the extension creators get their work caught up to the new version. I tho't it strange, but haven't had any issues with the new version thus far.

Aaron, I used to be an Opera fan, too. Actually, I still am. I think it's a great browser with nicely added functionalities. But I'm a bigger fan of Firefox :)

As for the extensions incompatibilities, yes, there are some extensions that are incompatible. I'm sticking to 1.0.7 for the time being because of that.

Sorry, I should have mentioned that, since I already knew it but every time I upgrade Firefox, I do a backup copy of my profile, just in case something goes wrong - in this case, some incompatible extensions. But I do this without thinking about it so I didn't think of warning about it.

I've managed to update all of my extensions by searching Google for the extension and Firefox 1.5, even when the updater showed no updates.

Worth a try for people who don't want to wait for the updater to get up to speed.

Firefox 1.5 has just been released.

It features some cool new stuff, like automated updates, drag and drop tabs reordering, improvements to popup blocking, better accessibility and better support for Mac OS X.

Remember to use the mirrors so that the main site doesn't go belly up ;)

I just downloaded FF 1.5, where do I go to setup the popup blocking? or do I have to download a toolbar

Click on Tools, Options, Content.

thanks steve, I have to relearn a WJOLE new browser, I have been a IE person for as long as I have had computer usages, 95 I beleive, so this will take some getting use to.

Any suggestions on good extensions? (from any one)

The #1 extension for someone working on web sites is the WebDeveloper Toolbar. A must have.

If you use GMail, the GMail Notifier is another must have.

I get my email forwarded to me from gmail forwarding program... is the extention called "webdeveloper toolbar" and is there a screen shot of it..

thanks all

Just go to Tools - Extensions and then click on Get More Extensions. That will take you to a web page where you can see most if not all FF extensions and you can choose to see them by popular, highest rated, etc.

One of my favs is ForecastFox - it gives you a little weather summary in the corner - popup conditions, forecast, radar... kinda nifty.

I'm a big fan of Chipmark, a replacement for Bookmarks. Your bookmarks are stored on a central server. Install the extension for Firefox so you get to them just like bookmarks, and if you're on a different computer you can get to your bookmarks at chipmark.com. Handy, but they haven't finished a FF1.5-compatible version yet.

• 3 weeks later...

ok, I am now getting an error to do with FF,

Cnat remember it all but it is something like:

window register corrupt

c:\window\register\prefix (not sure if that is right) \some numbers\firefox.exe is corrupt, pleaae run chkdsk utility to fix.

what is causing this error, I will do a reboot and do a screen capture to be more percises

ff.gif

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^this is the error I get

Edited by jayson

Try deleting the file from your Windows\Prefetch directory and see if that solves your problem.

This is not the Firefox executable. Windows uses the prefetch folder to speed up launching programs.

well, so far the error has not come up, so I will see what happens when I shut down tonight and start it up in the morning