nkycomputers

What Is This And What Is It Doing On My Page?

I can't figure this out. On the page found at http://www.mortgage-cincinnati.com/test/mo...an_process.html if you look at the top of the page it doesn't match all the other pages. Check the source from the browser and it shows "" before my DTD. When I look at my source on the server it isn't present. It only shows up in Mozilla Firefox that I know of, IE does not display it. It just started today. What is it? Any help would be greatly appreciated. It has to be either something in my browser or something on the server that I can't see. But what would my browser be doing picking this random page to show this on. I haven't seen anything else strange on any sites that I visit. Just this one page.

Thanks in advance

:(

Try it now. I did look at the code on the server and the three characters were in the code. I removed the cahracters. It is difficult to say how they got there without knowing more abit how you created the pages.

Try it now. I did look at the code on the server and the three characters were in the code. I removed the cahracters. It is difficult to say how they got there without knowing more abit how you created the pages.

Thanks. I don't understand how it got there. I hand code everything and use php includes to make updating easier. When I check my copy of the site it is not there. I checked the copy on the server and I didn't see it. What type of info do you need from me? All of my pages validate as XHTML transitional. This is the first time I have seen something like this. What do you think could have happened?

Thanks again

p.s. I will be checking this all day so I could provide any other info you need.

edit: I also want to point out that it was not showing in IE so maybe it was a Firefox thing. But you saw the code on your end so I don't get it. Do you see a different server than I do or did you edit the file in the same place I would?

Edited by nkycomputers

I have access to the server directly so I looked at the code on the server itself. My guess it is was added somehow when the file was uploaded. The three characters were the first three in the file right before the php include.

Ok this is driving me nuts.

There it is again. I still don't see it on my hd or server. But there it is on the page. I just uploaded a new copy of the page and it happened again.

Help

I have access to the server directly so I looked at the code on the server itself. My guess it is was added somehow when the file was uploaded. The three characters were the first three in the file right before the php include.

Then perhaps the server is inserting it. The help desk told me it was a coding problem to search here. As you can see the coding on these pages is not very advanced. I use the same include for the header so if it is something in my code it should show on all my sites pages. Let me know what you need from me so we can figure this out.

Thanks a lot for your help

How are you uploading?

The characters are not in the include file but in the main file at the beginning before the include so that is why it does not occur on the other pages. What program are you using to create the page? It should like the characters could be added there but not showing in the editor.

Edited by TCH-Rick

How are you uploading?

SmartFTP -

but I just checked and uploaded several other pages and nothing changes on them just the process page.

Also I DO NOT SEE the characters when I log in thru ftp

I DO SEE them in the cpanel/file manager

Personally I would create a new file and paste all but the first line into it. Then I would type in the php include line and upload the new file.

Personally I would create a new file and paste all but the first line into it. Then I would type in the php include line and upload the new file.

OK

Something is going on here. I just don't know what.

Check new.html I cut and paste directly from mortgage_loan_process.html

Uploaded same way and it has no problems.

1. I have made a copy of old mortgage_loan_process.html

2. I cut and paste the code to new.html

3. I rename new.html to mortgage_loan_process.html

4. Upload everything works fine.

5. However if I change the name of the original mortgage_loan_process.html to say BAKmortgage_loan_process.html it doesn't work and gives me the strange characters.

The files are currently working and the BAKmortgage_loan_process.html file is on the server. Do you think it could be some kind of virus? I don't see what it would do. But might want to keep it down anyway.

I really want to figure this out. I wonder if it is a virus I can't find on my computer. It just seems odd it would pick that one file and just do that.

Thanks again

It's not a virus. You've got some sort of character encoding issue between your PC and the server.

Using EditPad Lite, if I type some text in a new file, then select Convert / Unicode / ANSI->UTF-8 on the menu, those exact three characters are added at the beginning of the file.

Looking at the page in question, it appears to me that the character encoding issue is one between UTF-8 and ISO-8859-1. The BAKmortgage_loan_process.html file is being sent from the server with ISO-8859-1 encoding, although the server itself is running UTF-8 (Unicode). In Firefox, if you click 'View' and hover over 'Character Encoding', you should see that 'Western (ISO-8859-1)' is selected. If you click on 'Unicode (UTF-8)' to force Firefox to use UTF-8 encoding to display the page, those characters go away (are no longer displayed).

You might try changing the meta tag in your HTML to set the encoding as UTF-8:

><meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=utf-8" />

...and see if that makes things better or worse.

Here's whats odd though. Everything works fine now. I can't figure out how between ftp and server somehow the encoding on just that file gets out of whack. Every other page works and the code from the page in question works when cut and pasted into a new file. But if I rename the original file to anything it still displays the characters.

I use notepad and don't think there is a way to change the encoding type. Besides every other page is the same and they work fine it is now just the BAKmortgage.... page(which is identical to all the other pages except for the content).

Just when you think you've got it all figured out. LOL. Maybe I am just showing my inexperience now but this just seems odd.

P.S. I changed the encoding to utf-8 and it doesn't show the characters anymore. It still doesn't explain it though. How do they get on that one file anyway?

Edited by nkycomputers

OK I found the answer.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Byte_Order_Mark

Aparently you are right and I don't have the problem if using utf-8 encoding. However it is still odd that it only got attached to that one file. I will let you know what I find out.

Edit:

Wow somehow in my infinite ignorance I saved the file as utf-8 and notepad added the BOM to the file. I resaved as ansi and low and behold ....drum role please .......no more characters. What a fun lesson.

Edited by nkycomputers