Need A Spell Checker - Have One, Tch Doesn't Support It...help

Using Wordpress 1.5.2, need a spell checker, found this:

http://www.coldforged.org/archives/2004/12...-for-wordpress/

Supposed to be the best out there.

It requires an open source Unix executable called aspell:

http://aspell.sourceforge.net/

see also

http://aspell.sourceforge.net/man-html/Ins...html#Installing

I chatted with Tech Support and was told it was available for dedicated accounts but not for shared accounts.

I need this feature to enable spell checking for the blogs we run at my school:

http://www.ncs-tech.org/?page_id=336

Is there no other option for Wordpress spelling plugins? And is this a definite no? Would anyone else here benefit from a WP spell check plugin?

TIA,

-kj-

I used to use the coldforge one as well but aspell was putting to high of a load on the servers so I understand TCH's position to remove it from shared hosting accounts.

I have not found a suitable replacement for comment spell checking but I do use ieSpell for Internet Explorer and Spellbound extension for Firefox. Both of these are client side and I can check my spelling before submitting posts.

I also use a client-side spellchecker (Spellbound for Firefox, at TCH-Bruce's suggestion), and I find that it works great for me (for any web form, not just my blog).

I don't know of any server-side solution that isn't too hard on the servers. I mean, yeah, spell check would be nice, but if it is too-resource intensive, then everybody on the same server suffers.

I appreciate the policy becasue I'm glad that it means that MY site doesn't suffer because of what other sites on my server are doing.

So, the best option for now seems to be a client-side spell check before form submission.

So, the best option for now seems to be a client-side spell check before form submission.

We're talking a K-8 school here, guys, with many students blogging ... not my own individual blog. Rolling out a client-side solution to 400+ desktops is no easy task.

I understand the limitations of a server-side solution and so for now I'll just have the kids compose their posts in Word and paste into the blog window.

Thanks anyhew,

-kj-

Sorry we couldn't be more helpful.

When I said "the beset option for now" I didn't mean it was a great option. It is just the best of the available options, since there _is_ no server-side option--which I totally understand and support even though it means no server-side spell checker for me, because it is policies like this that keep all the accounts running at optimal speed and capacity.

If you are managing 400+ desktops, then I suppose that you have an image that you are using to restore each of the desktops. I wonder if you couldn't add the client-side options that we've discussed to your image, so that next time you roll out the image the computers have the client-side app.

The bonus of the client-side app is that it works for all webforms, not just blogs.

Anyway, consider the possiblity of adding it to your image; maybe that will make it easier for you.

Then again, if you have 400 client machines, I'm wondering about the number of WP blogs you have students using? Might you consider a switch to a dedicated server anyway?

I don't know if I'm being coherent. I'm coming down with a cold, and my head is starting to spin. So if none of this makes sense, I apologize... ;)

Best wishes,

I just noticed that the latest Google Toolbar has a built in spell-checker. You are right, this is an issue for our base image, and we use Altiris (it's great). Dedicated hosting isn't going to help us, as you can see above, aspell was removed, so we'll need another solution, client-side for sure. -kj-

Sorry we couldn't be more helpful.

When I said "the beset option for now" I didn't mean it was a great option. It is just the best of the available options, since there _is_ no server-side option--which I totally understand and support even though it means no server-side spell checker for me, because it is policies like this that keep all the accounts running at optimal speed and capacity.

If you are managing 400+ desktops, then I suppose that you have an image that you are using to restore each of the desktops. I wonder if you couldn't add the client-side options that we've discussed to your image, so that next time you roll out the image the computers have the client-side app.

The bonus of the client-side app is that it works for all webforms, not just blogs.

Anyway, consider the possiblity of adding it to your image; maybe that will make it easier for you.

Then again, if you have 400 client machines, I'm wondering about the number of WP blogs you have students using? Might you consider a switch to a dedicated server anyway?

I don't know if I'm being coherent. I'm coming down with a cold, and my head is starting to spin. So if none of this makes sense, I apologize... :)

Best wishes,