Hi all.

Maybe the answer to my questions is simple, but I just want to be sure! And learn some points I'm not sure about.

I have a TCH account. I want to map a domain I own (hosted on GoDaddy.com) to my TCH account. The domain is currently mapped to a blog on TypePad.

I think what I need to do is this, in this order:

1. In my account settings at GoDaddy.com, in the Total DNS Control and MX Settings section, change the CNAME record to point to the URL of my TCH site.

2. Wait for 24 hours or so until the DNS change has propagated itself.

3. Then, un-map the domain from TypePad by changing a config setting in my TypePad admin. When I then republish the site, everything there reverts back to the underlying TypePad address.

First question - is there anything I need to do in my TCH account in between 1 and 2 above?

Second question - what TCH address do I use for the new CNAME setting? My TCH account URL? Its numeric equivalent? And do I need to also change the A(Host) setting at GoDaddy.com and if so, what IP address do I tell it?

Thanks, everyone.

neville, you won't be using a CNAME setting. CNAME is only used to point one domain at another. You'll be pointing it at TCH's name servers. So you'll be using a DNS host record. You can accomplish this through using the "Set Nameservers" in your GoDaddy control panel for your domain.

Before you change DNS information you should get everything on your TCH account up and running, that way once the DNS updates, your visitors shouldn't miss a beat. You should be able to accomplish this by using the IP address that you got in your welcome email.

Let us know if there are any other questions about this.

Edited by TCH-Aaron

Aaron, thanks for that explanation, I appeciate the clarification. I'm glad I posted my questions here! :goof:

As the domain is currently mapped to a TypePad address, I guess I'd still need to un-map it, so to speak, at GoDaddy. When I do that, what do I map it to - a TCH name server? Or not map it at all?.

• 1 year later...
neville, you won't be using a CNAME setting. CNAME is only used to point one domain at another. You'll be pointing it at TCH's name servers. So you'll be using a DNS host record. You can accomplish this through using the "Set Nameservers" in your GoDaddy control panel for your domain.

Before you change DNS information you should get everything on your TCH account up and running, that way once the DNS updates, your visitors shouldn't miss a beat. You should be able to accomplish this by using the IP address that you got in your welcome email.

Let us know if there are any other questions about this.

You guys are so helpful, it's midnight PST and I was wondering if anyone was still live over there. Probably. Well, here's the question.

If you use godaddy's totaldns and want to point over a ns1 and ns2 record, would you point it over to your dedicated ip address, or to the totalchoice ip address?

I don't mean set nameservers, I mean set the total dns record where you can chose mx goes to one host and ns1 etc goes to another.

Thanks much.

Edited by agroamer

unless you have a dedicated server, with your own nameservers, then simply way is just to set the DNS to the TotalChoice nameservers.

If you want to manage your own DNS ( so you can chose where your MX goes etc., rather than having us manage that for you) then set the IP to the IP for your domain.

I would generally recommend the former.