Changing Isps

ramone_kalsaw

I'm in the process of changing ISPs and I want to use the new provider's mail service, but keep the other one in place so I can run parallel for a little while before cancelling the current ISP.

TCH Help Desk says they have updated the MX records in the server for the new domain and now it will be working fine.

Question: What is an "MX record" and how do I know if mail from my two 'current' ISPs is reaching my domain?

I want to make sure that the mail addressed to me through my new ISP is getting to my domain before I can cancel the other ISP service.

Also, what are the 'best practices' for getting mail that's addressed to the former ISP forwarded to the new one or my domain?

Thanks! (I hope I'm being clear :P)

I'm a little confused about your question...or you are not sure how email works :P

Ok, lets see if I can answer what I think you want by explaining how email and ISP's works.

You connect to the internet using an ISP (which you are changing), and parts of the internet are protocols that perform tasks such as web browsing (http), file transfers (ftp), Newsgroups (nntp), and email (smtp,pop, imap). Now email is a two way street with a starting and ending point, and sometimes this street has alternate routes and I think this is where you are confused.

Your ISP probably has given you and email address and TCH allows you to use their email servers with unlimited email accounts on your domain. These are two separate and distinct start/end points but you can use your ISP to access both of them. As long as you know the account name and its password, you can use the ISP's incoming (pop3) or outgoing (smtp) servers for your mail.

So I think the answer to your question is it doesn't matter. You can access your DOMAIN email for either ISP as long as you have the email client you use configured correctly.

A MX record is the "mail eXchange records, which identifiesthe mail server that will handle the emails for your domain.

I'm a little confused about your question...or you are not sure how email works :P

Ok, lets see if I can answer what I think you want by explaining how email and ISP's works.

You connect to the internet using an ISP (which you are changing), and parts of the internet are protocols that perform tasks such as web browsing (http), file transfers (ftp), Newsgroups (nntp), and email (smtp,pop, imap). Now email is a two way street with a starting and ending point, and sometimes this street has alternate routes and I think this is where you are confused.

Your ISP probably has given you and email address and TCH allows you to use their email servers with unlimited email accounts on your domain. These are two separate and distinct start/end points but you can use your ISP to access both of them. As long as you know the account name and its password, you can use the ISP's incoming (pop3) or outgoing (smtp) servers for your mail.

So I think the answer to your question is it doesn't matter. You can access your DOMAIN email for either ISP as long as you have the email client you use configured correctly.

A MX record is the "mail eXchange records, which identifiesthe mail server that will handle the emails for your domain.

Thanks for the primer, Madman, it helps. And to follow up:

-- It sounds like when any mail is addressed to me at me@my_domain.com it will get to the TCH mail server for viewing on my propering configured client. That is good ... and what I'm expecting to happen.

-- What I'm not sure about is this: On the ISP that I'm going to cancel, mail is addressed to me there -- me@that_domain.com and, if I remember correctly, I picked a setting that forwarded it to my domain, which is hosted on TCH.

So if I canceled that ISP today, what kind of 'forwarding address' can I put in place so any mail sent to the cancelled account finds it's way to my domain on TCH?

Thanks again for you help.

I'm in the process of changing ISPs and I want to use the new provider's mail service, but keep the other one in place so I can run parallel for a little while before cancelling the current ISP.

Some ISP's (if they're nice) forward email for a specific period of time if you cancel. (The one I used to work for a few years ago did mail forwarding for 90 days.) You'd have to ask them specifically.

What you suggested (above) is what I would recommend that you do. If your email is that important coming from the ISP you are dumping, a period of 1-2 months should be sufficient to notify everyone that you have a new email address.

As you have your own domain you really do not need your ISP e-mail address.

In fact I only use mine as the contact address in cpanel and for the forum

That way I can change ISP and not have to tell anyone.

I have forwards for family, friends and only one domain account.

I have never received spam to my ISP address this way.

So if I canceled that ISP today, what kind of 'forwarding address' can I put in place so any mail sent to the cancelled account finds it's way to my domain on TCH?

There is nothing you can do to forward a canceled email address to another account unless you worked something out with your current ISP to keep it active (create a forward on his system) even though you are no longer getting service from them.