Pop3 Email Will Not Work For Hours

spalfrey

I've been having frequent problems when I cannot connect to my POP3 email for hours, and then the problem just goes away. I get the outlook message:

Task 'me@domain.ext - Receiving' reported error (0x80042108) : 'Outlook is unable to connect to your incoming (POP3) e-mail server. If you continue to receive this message, contact your server administrator or Internet service provider (ISP).'

I have seen other people have had similar problems, but I am still unsure what the issue is (the TCH servers seem to be up; I can connect via webmail; and I can access my website...just not my POP3 account)

Based on suggestion I saw on this forum, I ran tracert, and when I did, I found that one hop timed out. Does this mean this is where the problem is?

Any thoughts, as this seems to be a common problem?

Thanks for the suggestion Thomas. Unfortunately, the causes suggested in this article dont apply to my situation. Furthermore, I get the problem on multiple computers, which are running different os/firewall/antivirus programs.

Email is working again now, after only about 1 hour down, but based on recent experience, I'll see the problem again w/in a week.

Any guess on where the problem lies?

I have a similar issue - with outgoing SMTP though. I can receive incoming emails by POP3, but outgoing doesn't work:

Task 'mbakshi - Sending' reported error (0x80042109) : 'Outlook is unable to connect to your outgoing (SMTP) e-mail server. If you continue to receive this message, contact your server administrator or Internet service provider (ISP).'